Dell Monitor stopped woking

Old 09-23-09, 06:11 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dell Monitor stopped woking

The monitor on my desk top quite working this morning. I was on the Internet (actully looking at this site) when the screen went blank...then came back up...then blinking back and forth off and on. Not on long enough to see what is on the screen. I unpluged the monitor, left it unpluged for several minutes and plugged it back in...no change.

My first question is how do I safely turn off the computer? I think I had a couple of internet sites open and that was it. One was on a WLS Radio and I still here them talking so I know everything else is working.

Second...is this 6 year old 15" monitor dead and should I just replace? Do I need to be careful about size or type if I do?

Thank goodness the old laptop works.

Shooting in the dark...Mark.

Old 09-23-09, 08:06 AM
G
Reply to MIBDIY

Hi MIBDIY,
You should be able to just power OFF the whole system without damaging anything. Would kinda of be like a power outtage during a storm... When you get monitor fixed or replaced your computer may come up and run some diagnostics to make sure everything is fine but should boot normally.

However, you need to check a couple of things before you toss it out because it could be a simple bad cable connection or a video card going bad. A bad cable connection would usually give a 'No Signal' display on the monitor; at least the ones I've worked on but it may not display that message continuously. A bad video card or video card connection would maybe do what you're reporting.

Easiest thing to do if you have access to a spare monitor is to swap out and see if you have screen display or not.
Second thing to do is open your PC case, checking all the video cable connections as you go back to the desktop case. Check the video cable inside to make sure it hasn't gotten pulled or worked loose from the video card; maybe take out the video card - clean goldencontacts with backend of plain old pencil eraser and reseat - be careful to not touch card directly and to ground your static electricity onto a metal part of the desktop case frame.
Let us know what you find.
Greynold99

Old 09-23-09, 08:53 AM
M
Thanks for the reply Grey...I disconnected it from computer and then plugged it in...no change. Plugged it in to my laptop still on/off no change. I did the power outage way of turning off. I check all the conections and card. Everything looks fine.

My guess at this point is monitor. Any thing I need to look out for in getting a new monitor?

Mark

Old 09-23-09, 11:13 AM
G
That's about it...

Nope, you've pretty much narrowed it down to the monitor. If you lived closer, I'd just give you one of the spare's I have... unfortunately the shipping from SW Pa to Danville, Ind/Ill/Va/Ky (?) would be pretty high. Alternatively if you have a local college or business that you know uses computers, some times their IT Dept will be glad just to give the older monitors away since most folks are going to flat-screen monitors nowadays and they have to pay to have them disposed of.
Also take look at TigerDirect.com or Dell.com (look for Deal of the Day icon on first webpage), sometimes they run specials on new monitors that you can't beat -- I just picked up an All-in-one printer which retails normally $199 for $79, yesterdays special.
Good luck,
Greynold

Old 09-23-09, 12:52 PM
M
Big Thanks

Thanks Grey...That would be IL...My current monitor is a LCD Flat panel...I'll look at the sites you suggested. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: