processor going bad?

Old 09-24-09, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
processor going bad?

I have an older pc with a 2200 amd processor. It has currently slowed down to 1.10 ghz. Ever since it was new it would occasionaly gear itself down to 1600 but you could go to the BIOS cpu setup page and type in 'pu/pd+' and that would bring it back to normal but now it has stuck at 1.1

Does this mean the processor is about to die? or is there something I'm missing in order to get it back up to par?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-09, 03:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Over the years, so many things end up in the startup folder, putting a strain on the memory & processor. Go to add & remove programs & uninstall anything that you don't want any more. If you use AOL, uninstall that too. It won't really uninstall it but it will list all the versions you have. I had a customer who had over 19 versions of AOL. I brought the machine back to life when I uninstalled them & just installed the lastest version.

After you do all that, run msconfig & uncheck all the things that you don't need loading into memory at boot time, which is most everything. Reboot, click OK & leave the machine at selective startup.

Finally, download, update & run anti malware from malwarebytes.org

Actually, you can do that first if you want. It doesn't matter. Those are the things I do when people complain that their machine is slow.

Old 09-24-09, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even though systems properties says my processor is running at 1/2 speed [?] it only seems to be a tad slower. I used to use a malware program but I found out routinely deleting unneeded cookies did the same thing [which I do 1-2 per week]

I don't have time right now but I'll see about see about uninstalling any unneeded/unused programs. AOL has never been on this pc ...... but will all that change the processor speed shown in system properties?

Old 09-24-09, 03:33 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I can't say for sure that you will see that number change but the malware program I'm recommending does a lot more than delete cookies. It's free & it's worth the time to run it.

Old 09-25-09, 04:53 AM
When was the last time you opened the case and cleaned the dust? Dust accumulates in and around the heat sinks, causing the proc to slow down so it doesn't burn itself up.

Old 09-25-09, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's been awhile - probably back when I maxed out the RAM.... so even if that isn't the cause, I'll do that later today

Funny thing is I noticed this morning that the processor had jumped up to 1500 so I hit restart to get to BIOS,did the pu/pd/++ thing and now the processor is running at it's proper speed

Old 09-27-09, 08:10 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Over the years, so many things end up in the startup folder, putting a strain on the memory & processor. Go to add & remove programs & uninstall anything that you don't want any more. If you use AOL, uninstall that too. It won't really uninstall it but it will list all the versions you have. I had a customer who had over 19 versions of AOL. I brought the machine back to life when I uninstalled them & just installed the lastest version.

After you do all that, run msconfig & uncheck all the things that you don't need loading into memory at boot time, which is most everything. Reboot, click OK & leave the machine at selective startup.

Finally, download, update & run anti malware from malwarebytes.org

Actually, you can do that first if you want. It doesn't matter. Those are the things I do when people complain that their machine is slow.
when you go to 'remove programs'-how do i know whitch programs'I'actualy need'
same with the start up program?
inthe past 2 days i have been 'fooling' around(literaly)trying to resolve an-email problem.
now-the tray at the bottom of the screen(i 'guess'that is the start up menue)-has about 6 icons!

Old 09-28-09, 07:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
On the "add & remove programs" list, you only uninstall programs that you absolutely never use any more. If you aren't sure, leave it. Don't uninstall it.

When you run msconfig & go to the startup tab, that's different. You aren't removing programs if you uncheck them. You are just stopping them from loading into memory. For example, I use MS Office & Adobe but I don't need them to load into memory at boot time, so I unchecked them.

The "tray" is where you see icons next to the clock. Some programs have a choice if you want the icon there or not.

The list when you click start, changes all the time. So, that means nothing.

Old 09-30-09, 11:17 AM
Personally, instead of messing with all that install/uninstall mumbo jumbo, I would format my hard drive, reinstall the OS and start fresh. Install only what you need from there and be certain that the problem doesn't persist after than. If, after you have all of the drivers installed, you still have this problem you describe, than you can be pretty certain it is a hardware related issue.

Old 10-02-09, 12:45 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular CPU, but a lot of CPUs are capable of dynamically running at reduced clock frequencies to save power. Intel and AMD each call it something different (thank the marketing guys). As long as the system isn't loaded up with dust as a previous poster said, don't worry about it.

On a side note, if a hardware component as important as a processor is bad (or going bad), you're going to know it. Random crashes, reboots, "blue screens of death" (if you're running windows), etc.

I worked on a Dell the other day with intermittent blue screens of death in Windows (every 3-10 minutes). It ended up being a bad memory stick. Replaced the memory stick and all was good!

- Joe