Gateway Power Supply

Old 09-24-09, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gateway Power Supply

I turned the Gateway 300se on and nothing happened. I had no previous problem, but now there does not seem to be any power at all inside unit.

The power supply (# NPS 160DB) has a test switch with a small light on the side of it. My question is - does it have to be completely connected or just plugged into power source? I have adequate power from the 110v cord. Nothing happens when I try test switch. There is a fuse inside the power supply and it has continuity.

What are chances it is only the power supply?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-09, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Check the voltage at the business end of the cord. You should have the indicated voltage on the side of the power supply.
Have you pinched the cord in a recliner mechanism? Been there, done that, repaired it. Check the entire length of cord for flat spots or abuse. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-24-09, 03:27 PM
Thx, but I have adequate power at the end of cord.

Old 09-24-09, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry, I missed that. The fuse inside the tower case may be blown. This is a desktop, right?

Old 09-24-09, 05:49 PM
Yes, its a desktop. I can't find a fuse in the case except for the one inside the power supply. It checks OK.

Old 09-25-09, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
I can't remember seeing a power supply with the test switch you describe, but that would be a cool idea for somebody to finally incorporate. Just guessing off the top of my head, but if the light doesn't come on when the test switch is pushed I would have to suspect the power supply is dead.

Dumb question, I know, but the on-off switch on the power supply is in the on position, right?

Old 09-25-09, 07:51 AM
Ray in case you need it...

In case you need a repl PS, try PC Motherboards | Used Cheap Laptops | Sata DVD Burners | Gateway Replacement Parts | Intel Motherboards | PCPartsohio.com.
I've dealt with them, very reliable and fast and specialize in Gateway replacement parts.
Greynold99

Old 09-26-09, 02:01 AM
Use a paper clip or something to jumper between the green cable on the atx connector, and a black one. That will prove it one way or the other. (Look for fan spinning)

Old 09-28-09, 09:46 PM
Don't forgot to connect an old hard drive or two to the power supply first. Don't ever try to operate these supplies with no load on them, it does bad things.

Is there another power supply you can test with?

How old is this system? Early Gateway computers used non-standard power supplies, as did Compaq. Later systems used standard components.

Old 09-29-09, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the info, but I have already tried it without a hard drive connected and I replaced it. Everything's fine now, but I don't know how to unsubscribe to the post to save other people's time in answering.

Old 09-29-09, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Ray...don't worry about the post..since you posted an answer..people shouldn't reply. If you subscribed and don't want notifications in case someone does reply..just go to the User cp on the bar.