Wireless networking

Old 10-07-09, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless networking

Is it possible to connect two PCs together through a wireless system rather than cables? I want to share files between the two..

If so, please give me basic instructions.

I guess I thought this was a Psychic Forum. The PCs are already wireless, just asking about networking.

Last edited by Ray Odom; 10-07-09 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Incomplete Info:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-09, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can share files and printer.

I can help you best if you're using XP. Vista is similar but as I can't stand it, I don't have it as a reference.

Make sure both your computers are on the same workgroup. You can check by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and then selecting "Properties" and then "Computer Name." By default the Workgroup should be "mshome" You can put whatever you want in but make sure it is the same on both computers. NOTE: The computer name must be unique.

Depending on the version of XP you have, File/Printer sharing is already installed but just in case we'll check...

Right click on your wireless connection icon and select "Open Network Connections" and then select "Properties." You'll see your wireless adapter and a list of items including "Internet Protocol TCP/IP"

If you do not see "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" select "add" - "service" and select "OK"

If it was installed or you've just added it then select the folders you want to share by selecting the folder, right clicking, and choosing share this folder.

On the other computer, to find the folder, go to "My Network Places" and select "add a network place" and then selecting "Choose another network location" and then select browse - my network places, microsoft windows network, your workgroup name (MSHOME) and then the other computer name. Your folder on the other computer should be accessible. You can make a shortcut here.

Are there other ways to do some of this, yes.

Post back and let me know how you're doing or if you have any problems. Good luck.