blank screen-can't get into safe mode

Old 10-28-09, 10:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
blank screen-can't get into safe mode

Dell optiplex PC, was prompting that Antivirus PRO 2010 had made it's way onto the PC (latest version of the Antivirus PRO virus series).

I tried running antivirus from Adaware and Trend Micro but it locked up before the scan could complete and now when I start up it flashes the Windows XP startup and then goes to a black/blue screen and is stuck.

When I try to get into safe mode to run some antivirus software all I get is a screen full of files scrolling and I have to shut it down. Tried all variations of safemode all with the same result. Tried last known good configuration, same thing.

I put in the boot disk and ran some diagnostics and the results say everything (hard drive, etc.) pass the tests

Help!

Old 10-29-09, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I can tell by the "no takers" since early this morning it won't be an easy fix. Going into safe mode is the best way to eliminate these trojans, but If you have tried every way possible to get there, you may be in for a format of c drive.

Old 10-29-09, 01:25 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There are bootable CD's with antivirus software on them. Avast makes one but you might find some freeware versions.

It may be your best bet short of reformatting.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-29-09, 03:30 PM
T
When I try to get into safe mode to run some antivirus software all I get is a screen full of files scrolling and I have to shut it down.
You sure that it not the normal safe mode starting up and you did not wait long enough, there is usually a lot of files scrolling when you start safe mode?

Old 11-01-09, 05:33 PM
S
I downloaded the free Bitdefender antivirus rescue, loaded it on a CD rom, booted to CD, but the software won't run. Is there something I need to do to get it to run at startup?

Old 11-01-09, 06:52 PM
A
When you say "not run" do you mean just the antivirus or anything? Does it boot at all?

I'm not familiar with that program but I do know it uses a linux core. How did you make the bootable CD?

Old 11-01-09, 08:15 PM
In the Dell systems--> usually, there is Rescue disk, allowing to start in safe Mode
If you can go to Safe Mode--> Programs--> Accessories--> System Tools--> System Restore --> Restore your computer to an earlier date

Old 11-01-09, 11:30 PM
If you boot into safe mode you should get loads of files scrolling. Turn it on, and select safe mode, and leave it ten minutes. Id it still hasn't booted tell me what file it got stuck on.

Alternatively boot into ubuntu live cd, and download and install avast security scan for linux (free), and run that. Gets the virus everytime.

Old 11-02-09, 05:55 AM
Do you have access to another computer? If you do, do all of the security updates on that computer, update the virus protection, install Spybot, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware and HijackThis. Install your hard drive on that machine as a slave and scan the living bejesus out of it. Make sure you run CCleaner, too. Actually, I'd do that first so that you don't have to scan all the junk CCleaner will remove.
Then put it back in your machine, and run those same programs on it again. If you only have a laptop available, go get a USB adapter so that you can plug your drive into the laptop's USB port.

Old 11-02-09, 03:55 PM
C
The files you see scrolling when trying to start in safe mode are part of the booting process for safe mode. Just be patient.

Old 11-03-09, 07:02 PM
S
I was able to burn a free copy of Avira antivirus rescue and it detected lots of trojans, etc. but failed to remove or repair them.

I did not wait very long for safe mode to complete. I will try that next time (pc is not at my house) and try to run the scans again.

I do have access to a laptop. If safe mode fails I will try hooking it up.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-09, 10:29 PM
S
well, strike two. Bitdefender says the files are not available for it to run. I know the disk is good, I tested it on my pc first.

The safe mode scroll stops at the first page (I let it run for an hour), with a list of drivers and partitions. Going to try Ubuntu live CD next, but it's not looking good...

Old 04-26-10, 07:27 PM
S
Ubuntu allowed me to load Avast antivirus. I beleive it removed some viruses. But now when I try to get into Windows I get this error message:

cannot start windows \system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

I read where I can use the repair feature of my XP cd. Can I do the repair without losing everything in My Documents?

I read where there is a risk of this happening when doing a repair, not my PC so don't want to risk losing someone else's files.

Old 04-26-10, 07:49 PM
M
repair

repairing a windows xp will not delete the files in the my documents section
it may create a new account
and you might have to reset child permissions for the older account to gain full access to it, from there you can copy over the data to the current account ( if after repair one is created )

Remove Antivirus Pro 2010 (Uninstall Guide)

oddly enough i have found the easiest way to disable the program from running on boot was to go to explorer, find the folder, and rename the folder ( not the executable )
then reboot

this stop the malware dead in it's tracks
from there you load up malwarebytes and let it clean it out
or manually clear it out

I have found those who run Internet Explorer tend to get hit with malware then those who run Firefox

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: