Unable to establish 'Wireless' on XP with SP3

Old 10-29-09, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unable to establish 'Wireless' on XP with SP3

Hi:
I got a new PC with XP with SP3 that says, Windows 7 upon opening I.E.

This morning, I attempted to establish Wireless/Comcast by having un-plugged 'Netgear' from an old PC with XP/ SP1 to a brand new PC with XP/SP3. I tried it by accessing 'Wireless Network Setting' on Control Panel, however I'm NOT able
to establish 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear which was used on an old PC. In the meantime, I can easily establish a connection/Comcast by using a long cable, ...' Wired.'

I want 'Wireless' connection by using Netgear, ... not a long Cable, 'Wired' connection.

My question is;
Is there any way for me to establish 'Wireless' connection by using 'Netgear' which was un-plugged from the old PC, ... or should I purchase a brand new Netgear in order to get 'Wireless' connection to a brand new PC with XP/SP3?

Thanks for your help and imputs on this regard in advance.

Old 10-29-09, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Your wireless connection may be secured and needs the code to be entered on the new computer. Go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections, then right click on wireless network connection. Click on view wireless connections. Your connections should light up. Click "connect" at the bottom of the page. This is where it will tell you whether or not it is secured. You may have to enter a WEP or WPA code, and only you have that.

Old 10-29-09, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the response.

I did exactly you suggested, .... code and every necessary procerures to get it succeeded. However, there is NO connection establishment.

It says, ... something like, ... not able to find 'F' or 'D,' both of which are USB/flash-drive including Netgear, ... or 'not able to find NETGEAR and the like.

In my guess, SP3 causing this? Or, what else? Because, other similar XPs that have no SP3 and no issue of wireless-connection on those with XP only.

Old 10-29-09, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Why is Netgear a "drive"? Netgear should be attached to your modem, not to the computer. Netgear is your router, right??

Old 10-29-09, 07:48 PM
J
You are sending a wireless signal from Netgear router to a wireless usb adapter installed
in another PC--have you installed your drivers,etc from the cd rom for your usb adapter & set up the IP address ?
Netgear will work with D link equipment also.....................

Old 10-30-09, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
You are sending a wireless signal from Netgear router to a wireless usb adapter installed
in another PC--have you installed your drivers,etc from the cd rom for your usb adapter & set up the IP address ?
Netgear will work with D link equipment also.....................
Netgear Wireless Adaptor was actually installed by Comcast Technician, because I tried several time to get Internet connection done by using other Adaptor purchased from local Staple.

Recalling this, any of adaptors purchased from Staples did not work on my PC, XP with SP1. Then, I had no choice to ask Comcast come to my house to get it done. He installed Netgear Adaptor about two or three years ago.

According Comcast tech., Netgear is too big to fit in any of USB ports, then he faciliated to use USB cable to attach Netgear. This method is ONLY Comcast tech to enable, not Comcast subscribers, .... that's my guess.

Any clues or suggestions?

Old 10-30-09, 10:55 AM
J
Yes-----------------call Comcast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-09, 01:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or download the drivers and install. Google for them.

Old 11-01-09, 11:42 PM
You can fit it yourself, the adaptor was just too wide to make a connection in the usb port.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: