801.11n Signal Strength

Old 11-03-09, 06:40 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
801.11n Signal Strength

IS there any way to increase/direct the signal strength from my 801.11n wireless router? I have a PCI network adapter/antenna that is one story up and about 60 feet away from the router but my signal strength and speed are very low (no more than 1 bar and 2.2mbps). It is currently set to WEP to allow an older computer to access it but I am not sure if the security settings are dragging down the signal strength. I have updated all of the firmware and system software to no avail.

Leslie

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-09, 06:52 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi

I have a few questions...

What is the model/make of the wireless router your using?
How many computers are accessing the router at the same time and what standard are they using? Examples of standards are 802.11g or 802.11n.
Do you have a wireless/cordless phone in the building? One thing people arent aware of is some of the cordless phones work on the same frequency as the wireless router. If you have a cordless phone and it's running at the 2.4ghz frequency, it will compete with bandwith for the router. The cordless phone will always win the battle.

It's also a good idea to locate the router close to the ceiling.

WEP will slow down the speed because it takes time to encrypt/decrypt the packets, however it won't affect the signal strength.

Chris

Old 11-03-09, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You can buy or make directional antennas that will work great..I've heard of people that have got a good signal at 500 ft or more from a standard router.

Also..sometimes a few feet difference in the location of the router can make a huge diff in the signal.

Also...do you have the power turned up all the way? I know mine has an adjustment when you go into the router setup.