Two wireless questions

Old 11-27-09, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two wireless questions

1. How do I configure my wireless laptop so it will tell the wired printer to print? Printer is connected to my wired desktop pc.

2. Is it possible to connect to internet with a wireless laptop and no other computer in the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-09, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by esorami View Post
1. How do I configure my wireless laptop so it will tell the wired printer to print? Printer is connected to my wired desktop pc.
Set up file and printer sharing on the desktop (make sure both desktop and laptop have the same workgroup names) and then share the printer. On the laptop use the "Add Printer" wizard to find the printer and install it. Don't use any OEM install software unless prompted.

Originally Posted by esorami View Post
2. Is it possible to connect to internet with a wireless laptop and no other computer in the house?
Yes, buy a wireless router. You will not need to have the other computer on at all. It also gives you better security since it sounds like your desktop is connected directly to the internet.

Old 11-27-09, 05:24 PM
Wireless connection

"Yes, buy a wireless router. You will not need to have the other computer on at all. It also gives you better security since it sounds like your desktop is connected directly to the internet."

In this instance, there is no other computer in the house at all. Only the wireless laptop.
If I have a wireless router, will I still be able to get online without another computer in the house?

Old 11-27-09, 09:13 PM
With a wireless router you will not need any other computer to access the internet - at all.

You may need to connect to it hardwired to configure it ONLY. Once it is set up, you are completely wireless.

Old 11-28-09, 12:41 AM
option for set up

the other option is buy a wireless router with a printer port

or a new printer that is network capable ( most new ones are, even the cheap ones )

or a linksys network print server ( Linksys PSUS4 )

this way you do not need you other computer on at all to print
you can either hard assign the IP to the printer or let it be assigned by DHCP

my current set up has a network printer, since i do not have my computer(s) on all the time, yet my laptop can connect ( wirelessly ) to my network and print / scan / fax from their.

the printer is a relatively inexpensive Canon MX 700 all in one, which has it built in ethernet port

i originally had an older Epson printer on the Linksys network print server to originally do this, but then my Epson died out on me and
I replaced it with the Canon. I still have the Linksys print server hooked up, but only to handle more computers in my media room since it has 4 ports total ( router / modem has 4 ports )