Using a TV as a monitor?

Old 12-02-09, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using a TV as a monitor?

Hi everyone. I have a PC set up to use my LG 37 inch LCD tv as its monitor. My issue is that I can't adjust the resolution or desktop size. I know that the driver probably isn't correct, but I couldn't find any driver out there for the LG... any suggestions about where to find any? I have an IBM NetVista. No real external video card, just the on-board video on the mother board.. Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-09, 09:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No real external video card, just the on-board video on the mother board..
And that may be part of your problem. Try installing a good video card. Nvidia offers lots of support for cards with their chips. ATI all so has some gnood cards. You will need to know if you have a advanced graphics slot on your mother board and the kind.

Old 12-23-09, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by tatespa View Post
Hi everyone. I have a PC set up to use my LG 37 inch LCD tv as its monitor. My issue is that I can't adjust the resolution or desktop size. I know that the driver probably isn't correct, but I couldn't find any driver out there for the LG... any suggestions about where to find any? I have an IBM NetVista. No real external video card, just the on-board video on the mother board.. Thanks Paul
I assume you mean you cant adjust the resolution or size on the tv. Are you using a dual monitor setup or just the tv?
Is there not an option at all? You should be able to adjust the resolution by going to control panel and adjusting the settings under display there.

You will not find a "driver" for the tv. You need to get the latest driver for your video card, not the tv.

What os are you using? Vista? xp? What make and model is the video card?

Old 12-23-09, 02:53 AM
Display Settings

Which model and machine type of IBM NetVista do you have? Model should read similar to A40i, M40, etc, machine type should be 4 numbers such as 6480, 8420, etc.

Without more specific knowledge of model and machine type you have anything past a offering generalized possible solution would be difficult.

Upgrading the graphics may not be a reasonable option with your motherboard unless it provides an option to by pass the onboard chip set.

Personally, I've never had much luck obtaining satisfactory results attempting to do what you're doing. Of course that doesn't mean it can't work, only that hasn't for me with the dozen of so hardware setups I've tried it on. The best results involved high end Nvidia graphics, but were still problematic.

I assume your OS is Vista. Have you tried right click on desktop -> select Personalize -> select Display Settings (it's at the bottom of the list)? Your available configuration options including resolution should be accessible there. They may not be adequate with your chip set, nonetheless, this is the most logical place to look at this point, given the limited information you've provided.

Let us know what you come up with. I build and repair computers as a hobby and a side line business, so it's of interest to me either way whether it works for you or it doesn't.

-Cheers Beer 4U2