Slow computer, Why??

Old 12-09-09, 07:31 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Slow computer, Why??

Can someone tell me how I can find out why my computer seems to be running lots slower than usual? I don't want to try one of the test sites that try to sell you something. So if you can help me with some kind of check that I can do that would be great. Thanks

I am running Win XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 3 and 1gig of RAM

Old 12-09-09, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What kind of antivirus, antispyware, antimalware are you running?

And..do you mean slow on the internet (loading pages, etc) or is it slow with local applications...

Also..call up your task manager and see if you have something hogging memory or CPU.

Old 12-09-09, 08:25 AM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Running Trend Micro anti virus. It has been in use for about a year and has not slowed things down in the past.

No anti spyware

What do I check on task manager to see what could be slowing it down. I can open task manager but really don't know what I am looking at to any extent. Thanks for helping.

Old 12-09-09, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
If you haven't done for a while, reboot your system.

Hit Ctrl+alt+delete and go to the performance tab. That will show you how much your CPU is being used and your page file. If you have a duel or quad core CPU it will show them as separate CPU's When you system is idle you CPU usage should be very low. If it is not low, then some program is hogging your CPU resources. Mine right now is 3% with some 15% jumps here and there.

Next check your internet connection. One of the major causes of the "my computer is slow" question is that your internet connection is having issues. Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test to test your connection speed. This is not a pay site as far as the main page. As far as the other things on the page I don't know, I never click on them. Compaire your number with what you are paying for.

Lastly, how much space is on your hard drive? If it is almost full then I suggest doing a disk cleanup (start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup)

Old 12-09-09, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Also...look at the processes tab...see if there is something using a huge amount of memory..

right now i have Firefox and Internet Explorer running...FF shows about 170,000K and IE shows about 65,000K usage...those are my 2 largest usages...

My system is about the same software as yours...and probably has a much slower processor.

Old 12-09-09, 09:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi kmeyer301,

If you don't use antispyware, this is the right time to start

Some trojans affect the speed, the programs, etc

Download and install Spybot --> it is free --> don't worry, they don't try to sell another program--> run it --> you will be surprised

Old 12-29-09, 03:30 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm currently in the process of reviving an old machine running XP & noticed that the drive activity light was always on. I did all the usual virus/spyware checks and everything was clean.

The best tip I found was to shut off INDEXING.

(My Computer/right-click on C: )

Sped things up admirably.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: