Wipe and install windows 2000

Old 12-13-09, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wipe and install windows 2000

Here's the deal. My wife has a laptop she purchased back in 1999, it is a Compaq Presario 1285. About 4-5 years ago my buddy and I put Windows XP Pro (cracked) on it. It just barely (and I mean barely) handled it. We messed around on it for a bit then it was put away. It has not been used since then. It has moved around with us and spent some time in the garage (in MN) and most time in the case in the closet.

For Christmas this year, we thought it would be fun to load some games on it for my 3yr old. Nothing to large. I tried to start it up today and the OS would not load. I get the progress bar filled then it just sits there. I tried booting in safe mode, command prompt, debuging, last known good, etc. nothing works. In safe mode it stops after mup.sys. I know mup.sys is not the issue and I have no idea what comes next.

My next thought was just put the Windows 2000 cd in. When it went through the set up I know I would have the choice to reformat my HDD. This time it hung when windows 2000 opening set up files. It went trough all the hardware and bios stuff but before it could run teh set up, it froze. The longest I let it sit was about 10min.

So, here is what I want to do:
Wipe my HDD
Install windows 2000 (because it should handle this better then XP)

Ideas?

btw, this computer will never go online. not never as in "I will not allow it", but never as "only has phone modem". So I do not have to run anything but the OS and kids games. (Oregon trail, number munchers, etc)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-09, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Rather then Windows 2000, how about Windows 98 SE? I would think more older kids games would be more compatible for that OS then 2000. It was also a pretty good, user friendly OS IIRC. It is also about the same age as the laptop so you should not have any compatibility issues.

Old 12-13-09, 04:35 PM
many of the games I found run on 2000 and newer. That and I didn't find 98.

Old 12-13-09, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Well then, I'd say go for it. You got nothing to loose.

Old 12-13-09, 04:48 PM
but how. I forget how to fdisck without using a windows disk.

Old 12-13-09, 06:44 PM
I have let both my windows 2000 and XP disks sit in the machine for over 30min each. So far it never gets past "starting windows" on the blue set-up screen. I am going to run a HDD diagnostic tool. Any other thoughts?

Old 12-13-09, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
It's been a while since I did this so please bear with me:
When you boot up the laptop with the CD in the drive it should give you options. You want to boot to DOS. IF you are using a floppy disk then select the boot with CD support. fdisk should be found on the CD someplace as will format. After you format the drive then try rebooting and doing a fresh install.

Maybe this might help? http://www.tippscout.de/formatting-f...tipp_2629.html

I see your in Central MN. I am as well (sort of) If you need a boot disk I do have a win 98 one. It might work for you.

Old 12-13-09, 08:14 PM
I have been trying to figure out why nothing happens even with the windows cd in. It seems to hang on "starting windows". I tried a few times to get it to load, one time I got a message about windows being unable to find a mass storage device. I think this means the HDD. if so, I think that means my hard drive crapped out. If the computer has been in storage, what are teh chances that it broke?

Old 12-14-09, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
The storage shouldn't have hurt it unless it was a hot, damp storage building or something. Unable to find mass storage does mean it can't find your HDD; can you get into the bios on boot up? Usually the Delete key or an "F" key during initial bootup.

And my first thought was the same as Tolyn; Win 98. Unfortunately that would eliminate the incompatible stuff.

Old 12-14-09, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, check the BIOS. On post it should say press DEL, F2, or something like that to get there. The HD should show up there.