Start Menu Icons Vista

Old 12-15-09, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Start Menu Icons Vista

This happened after 2 years. There is a sleep icon, a lock and a drop down menu. The sleep icon now has a yellow shield with a black exclaimation point in the shield superimposed on half the icon. When you put the cursor over it you get: "Installs updates and then shuts down your computer". If I click on it it does just what it says but takes for ever to update, install and shut down. What is going on? How do I get rid of it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-09, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's just installing updates. There may be many updates it needs to install. I would just keep doing it until it's completely finished.

Old 12-17-09, 12:12 PM
Sometimes it might need a few goes, because one update has to be completely installed before it can install another.

Old 12-17-09, 01:56 PM
What I don't understand is how and why this update icon got where it is. It doesn't belong there. I'm suspicious that it might be a virus.

Old 12-18-09, 11:40 AM
That's where the update Icon goes in Windows Vista, and Windows 7. That's where it has always gone for Vista. Windows Vista automatically downloads the updates, then when they are downloaded, it put the update icon on the standby/shutdown menu. That's for both Windows Vista all varieties, and Windows 7.

Old 12-18-09, 01:35 PM
Crazycory, I did it and no problems so far. Thanks for you help. I don't think I ever saw that icon there and that was my concern.

Old 12-19-09, 03:21 PM
No problem. Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes it's easy to miss that stupid icon. I do it on my Windows 7 machine all the time.