advice on apple vs PC

Old 12-25-09, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
advice on apple vs PC

Ok let me begin with I am sick and tired of my current windows based computers and I am thinking of going Mac.
It seems like everytime I get a pc it starts to act up after a year or so. I keep getting slow downs from addware or spyware or both.
I am looking at Apple computers now. Do you folks recommend them? I know they cost a bit more but that is OK I want something that does not keep slowing down with time as I am not very computer savy to keep fixing items like program errors etc.
I have heard once you go Mac you will never go back. Is that a true statement?
I want to get a new desk top as well as a notebook.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-09, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Apples are nice, but if they were that good, don't you think they would be in close competition with a PC?

I don't understand how people are always getting viruses or spyware. I've had a PC for decades and never had anything. I am just cautious and keep everything up to date.

Saying that, I've know people who have swapped from PC to Mac. Some didn't like the swap because there are major differences. One of the obvious differences is, there is no "right mouse click" on a Mac.

You might want to look at a unix based PC setup. They are pretty stable.

I'm biased towards PC, can't ya tell?

Old 12-25-09, 04:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Actually an Apple is a PC despite the misleading commercials. PC simply means personal computer. It defines a type of hardware. Windows and OSX are both types of operating systems that can be used on a PC. Windows is the second most expensive operating system that can be used on PC and the only one that is currently subject to viruses and malware.

There are hundreds of operating systems other then Windows and Mac that are usually free, not subject to viruses, easy to use, and have tens of thousands of easy to install software programs available. The various Linux operating systems are the easiest to use for people coming from a Windows environment.

PCs made for the X86 environment such as Windows are much cheaper then PC's made to support the Apple OS but now that Macs have went from the Motorola CPU to the Intel type CPU there is little difference hardware wise except cost. Your best bet would be reading up on how to assemble a compueter, then buying a no-name bare bones and adding quality parts of your own.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-25-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-25-09, 04:50 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
>> PC and the only one that is currently subject to viruses and malware.

This is incorrect, the others simply don't represent enough of a base to bother putting in a great deal of effort.

How well your computer treats you depends on how well you treat it. If you constantly download software you have no idea where it came from, install it, then uninstall it then install something else, you are bound to encounter problems eventually.

Another thing to remember is that while there are usually 'mirror' programs for the Mac and PC, they are not always the same.
If you HAVE to have a particular application, make sure it is available on the Mac, in the same form, with the same compatibility.

For the money you will spend on a Mac, you could buy 2 or 3 PC's, especially when you start talking notebooks.

Old 12-25-09, 06:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is incorrect, the others simply don't represent enough of a base to bother putting in a great deal of effort.
But that is why I said "currently". Yes, if they become popular there will be viruses in the wild. There already are proof of concept viruses at least for Linux.

Old 12-25-09, 07:46 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
My experience is about 12 years old but I wouldn't go back to an apple if I were paid.

Like you I had a lot of trouble with the Windows (3.11) environment so I bought a fully tricked out Mac G-3. It was among the first to have a DVD-RAM drive incorporated with the CD-ROM but it was also among the first computers to NOT have a 3.5 inch floppy drive. I had dual 10 Gigabyte 10,000 rpm (A-V) drives. It had Apples OS-8 for the operating system.

I had to buy a separate 3.5 inch Superdrive and the included keyboard and mouse were all but unusable so I bought replacements. I was able to connect (via dial-up) to the Internet but I couldn't even open a simple WORD file sent to me because, you guessed it, WORD is a Microsoft product and the Apple word processing software was not compatible. When I went shopping for software I found that there was about ten times as much software and probably ten times as many vendors making software for the Windows platform as there was for the Apple platform. Windows-based software (not necessarily Microsoft) was usually cheaper than Apple-based software. Amazingly, or maybe not, there were even software packages for the Apple that emulated Windows and would allow you to use Windows programs on the Apple.

But how easy was it to use and how stable was it compared to Windows? Not one darn bit better in my experience. When "cruisin' the 'net" I would constantly get messages that I was running out of memory and that I needed to close some programs. But I was NOT using anywhere near the installed memory capacity and the only program I had open was the web browser.

Another thing was a process called "rebuilding the desktop", something that I understand was supposed to be done as routine maintenance maybe once a month or so. But NOWHERE was I able to find just what that meant or how to go about it. The included instruction manuals were all but useless and any aftermarket books I bought were either so simplistic they told me nothing or they were written for someone that already knew all the basics of the Apple OS.

Then there were the times it would just hang up and do nothing at all and the only solution was for me to simply power down and start all over. This happened more with the Apple than it did with the Windows-based machine I had at work. To compound matters the commands that I knew for Windows were completely different for the Apple so the transition from work to home was enormous and there was no way that I could do any file sharing.

Bottom line was that when I moved to a new house I never even bothered to connect the Apple but just left it in the closet. I finally gave it to a friend who was doing some video work (the Apple was at one time the preferred platform for video and that was one of the reasons I had originally bought it) and he had to add a new OS (OS-X) and a few hardware items and yet he never got it to perform as well as his Windows machines. I'll add that this friend IS close to being a computer nerd and he has a couple of friends that are certified nerds.

After I decided the Apple was no better I bought a year-old laptop (refurbished from the manufacturer's on-line store) that was running Windows 98SE and I used that computer for several years. It was miles ahead of that Apple for what I wanted.

Of course as I stated this was a dozen years ago and maybe things are a lot different now but you will never get me to go back to an Apple.

I'll add that I have never had any "infections" on any of my computers (currently three) and I have run connected to the Internet with no firewall or virus blocker. I don't recommend taking such chances but just to state that not everyone using a computer is going to get infected.

Old 12-26-09, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by michael van View Post
It seems like everytime I get a pc it starts to act up after a year or so. I keep getting slow downs from addware or spyware or both.
Most people don't think twice about spending three hours a week to maintain the landscaping around their homes, or spending a few hours every three months to have their cars serviced.

Computers also require periodic maintenance to keep them running at top speed. I spend about two hours every six months on the hardware and about 10 hours once a year on the software.

Hardware maintenance is minimal. Dust accumulation on or near the CPU heat sink is one reason why machines slow down. When the CPU gets too hot, it will shut down altogether. It's far more common, however, for it to slow down to prevent overheating. Open the case every six months or so and carefully vacuum the dust out of it. Use an artist's brush with a light touch to loosen the dust, and hold the vacuum hose close enough to pull it out.

Maintaining the software side is a bit more involved, and it should be done at least once a year.

Run complete virus, malware, and adware scans on all of the data files (pix, music, documents, etc.), then back up all of those files to an external (USB) drive, thumb drives, or DVDs.

Make sure you have all of the original Windows, driver, and program CDs (and their activation or key codes), and note your settings for Internet connections, e-mail accounts, user names and passwords.

Format the C drive. Re-install Windows and all of the drivers and programs. Finally, bring back all of your data files.

Old 12-26-09, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Macs are nice and all and are not as susceptible to viruses due to the fact that not many hackers write viruses for macs. A firewall (router) and a good anti virus program (I use one that is free and it allows me to surf the net with reckless abandonment, but there are good ones for purchase) will go a long to make your system running well.

I have been using the same system that I built for about 5+ years now. I started the system the best I could afford at the time but left room to upgrade. When I built it, I moved many of the components from my old system to my new one to keep the cost down. You can't do that with a Mac. Then I upgraded the video card twice, added more hard drives, more RAM, additional DVD rom drives. Pretty sure you can only add RAM or swap a failed component on Mac's.

BTW - I always suggest people building their own system. Its not that hard (unless you go REALLY exotic) and you get a cleaner system to boot. You can also buy a bare bones system if you don't want to build it.

Old 12-31-09, 02:22 PM
had a Mac attack

First let me thank all for the good response about my question. However I am not a computer kind of person and to me is when it works I am happy and when things start going wrong I pull out my hair trying to fix it and in many cases make it worse.
However Santa was good to me this year and brought me a new I Mac and a new Mac Book pro that I have been messing with the last few days.
I think I can get used to the format but it will take some time.
I have noticed one thing for sure the Macs run cool and produce no heat like my Toshiba lap top did. I do not think they even have fans,
I am learning on how to work on computers but it might take a few more years.

Old 12-31-09, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Sorry to hear to have gone to the "dark side" j/k

Congrats on your new toys. Have fun with them!