Continous LimeWire activity on my computer...

Old 12-27-09, 01:13 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Continous LimeWire activity on my computer...

My son-in-law was over the other day and downloaded a file called LimeWire for my wife so she could download songs to her new MP3 machine...but I've noticed that ever since, the modem activity light continually blinks, so, checking Task Manager (Windows XP) it shows continous CPU activity of 2-15% usage associated with "LimeWire.exe".... While this activity does not appear to slow down my other computer activities, LimeWire is obviously doing something in the background even tho I'm not on the program. It may be harmless, but I'd like to know what's going on. It seems to run continously, (I have DSL) any time the computer is turned on.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-09, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Uhh...I'm old school...I'd get rid of it. Pay for what you want...plenty of free conversion software for audio files if needed.

LimeWire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-09, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have the Limeware Pro version and have no problems. You will have to open up Limewire and tell it not to start when windows starts in the preferences settings and not to share anything.

Old 12-27-09, 01:41 PM
My wife & I are pretty "Old School" ourselves, and I wouldn't mind paying for a service I would use frequently, but in my case, the MP-3 machine was given to her as a gift, and so she was shown how to put a song on it with LimeWire.....I doubt if she ends up putting more than a dozen songs on it total, as we're not real audiophiles....so I'll see if I can figure out how to enable the file sharing only when she gets on the program to find a song. There is only one song on there now, so I wonder what all this continous "LimeWire.exe" activity is doing, even while I'm typing this post...?

Old 12-27-09, 02:19 PM
Well, that was too simple....thanks, Hot, I was able to uncheck the "Automatically load LimeWire when system starts" box....I then re-booted & voila! all is quiet on the modem activity lite. Once again, Doityourself to the rescue!

Old 12-27-09, 02:21 PM
Limewire is not doing anything to harm your computer if that's what you are afraid of. File sharing is most likely on, which typically means your Music "folder" is being shared with limewire. So if someone is searching for a song, and it's in your shared music folder, they can download it from you.

You can shut down Limewire if you'd like. It's not going to harm anything.

Just saw your latest post! Glad we could help!

Old 12-28-09, 05:08 AM
Be careful using that program to download. After downloading, immediately run a virus scan on the file. Many of the files you'll find on LimeWire are viruses masquerading as other types of files.

Old 12-28-09, 08:11 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Oh, say it isn't so Rick. Just because many of the downloads via Limewire are illegal, why would you think somebody might poison the fruit?

That is what happens when a person does not want to avail themselves of legal sources of listening material.

Old 12-29-09, 02:26 PM
Well, in the interest of trying to stay legal, how do you tell which songs are legal to download and which are not? I wonder what percentage of all avail downloads is legal/illegal?
My son-in-law says he's been using this site for over a year, accessing it several times a week, with no problem....Of course, I know how Murphy's Law works...but seriously, how do you know?

Old 12-29-09, 04:34 PM
nap
It's real simple. If it is by any group you have heard of and it does not include the name of your child's school, there is almost a 100% chance it is illegal.

Even the school stuff may not be legal.

the only songs that are legal to download for free are ones which the copyright holder allows them to be downloaded for free and that is a very small list. Offhand I cannot think of any major group that allows their music to be distributed for free.

The RIAA announced sometime this last year they are not going to aggressively prosecute people that download illegally but that doesn't mean they will not prosecute at all. I believe hey will tend to go after those that upload music because just like drugs, that is where the problem begins. Going after the small fish actually was a money losing activity for the RIAA as they lost money on every case they prosecuted and really did not do much to slow down the illegal transfer of music.

btw: when limewire was active on your computer without you doing anthing with it;

it was generally uploading music on your computer to other limewire members that were looking for a song that happened to be on your computer.

Old 12-29-09, 06:18 PM
Like I mentioned earlier......(cough).

I couldn't tell you the last time I paid for a CD or song........

Old 12-29-09, 07:04 PM
nap
I'm not trying to play forum cop here, really. I know it is generally illegal and that is all I really wanted to let rstripe know as he did seem concerned after my statement about not being surprised about virus's.

Now Hot, since we know your IP add is **.***.**.*** and you are not a newbie, we are going to go ahead and forward your IP to the RIAA so they can watch you. Ok with you?

we'll let rstripe slide, this time.

edit: dang, the bad language nanny program censors IP addresses too?

Old 12-30-09, 05:17 AM
dang, the bad language nanny program censors IP addresses too?
Well, yes. Except in Hot's case his IP address really is all asterisks.

Old 12-30-09, 09:06 AM
nap
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Well, yes. Except in Hot's case his IP address really is all asterisks.
just so all are aware, yes, I typed it as asterisks. It was a joke and I sent hot a pm telling him such.

and Rick had to go and spoil the fun.

Old 12-30-09, 11:59 AM
Having opened a can of worms, another question occurs to me-- if going after individual downloaders is not worth the trouble, and going after individual uploaders would still be a huge task, why would it not be a simple solution to shut down the websites that do this? The implication is that the vast majority of songs available on these types of websites are illegal, so is it because we don't have laws in place that allow for shutting down these sites, or is it due to lack of public support for enforcing the rules?

Old 12-30-09, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
They are going after the uploaders that have huge amounts of activity. You know...the ones that want every song ever recorded or performed anywhere...and they have 20 terabytes in each of their 20 servers just to store them all, and have their own T1 line....lol

Old 12-30-09, 01:45 PM
nap
why would it not be a simple solution to shut down the websites that do this?
they try and are successful, but rarely. Google Napster to see one of the major peer to peer services they were successful in getting shut down. The problem is there are legal and legit uses for the p2p systems.

Napster has since become active again but it is not the same Napster as before.

The implication is that the vast majority of songs available on these types of websites are illegal, so is it because we don't have laws in place that allow for shutting down these sites
it is a difficult, lengthy, laborious, and expensive proposition to get them shut down and there is nothing preventing another site opening up at any time to do exactly the same thing. They are forever chasing the crooks and the crooks just keep opening a new store.

or is it due to lack of public support for enforcing the rules?
public support has little to do with enforcing the laws. The problem is, in most cases, this is civil law and it takes a plaintiff to have civil laws enforced. That is what the RIAA was doing but it costs money. All the while the RIAA and others have complained about how much money the illegal downloads are costing the performers and record companies, one would think the performers and record labels would offer to foot the bill but they won't, at least directly.

I would strongly suggest against doing anything illegal with any Metallica music. They will spend their own money to prosecute anybody that violates their copyrights.

If more artists were as active as Metallica, I suggest we would see a great change in who does the illegal activities.

Old 01-02-10, 01:11 PM
Well, thanks for your input, gentlemen... I see this could become a lively topic that goes beyond this forum.

Old 01-05-10, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by rstripe View Post
why would it not be a simple solution to shut down the websites that do this?
to add to a previous reply by nap, its also not quite as simple as shutting down a website. The program LimeWire (and many others) is a stand-alone app that contains code to link to others running the same app. It doesn't necessarily need to run through a traditional website or even a common server to do so. Because of this, shutting down something such as a server that is known to handle LimeWire requests would be an exercise in futility because there are so many (and they are not exactly in one central location).

the only way to properly stop LimeWire, per se, is to go after the company itself, which leads to the long, expensive, and laborious (and potentially unsuccessful) process. And then another will pop up in its place as Napster, Morpheus, Ares, Limewire, and countless countless others have in the past.