Machine Won't Start - Sometimes

Old 12-28-09, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Machine Won't Start - Sometimes

Just moved an old 600 mhz eMachine to my basement with the plan to turn it into a server. It was working fine up until that time but now when I power it up, the HD light comes on solid and stays that way ... doesn't go through the boot sequence. After 2 or 3 shut downs/start ups, it boots and everything is OK again.

So far, I've opened it up, blew some dust out of it and reseated the sound & video cards.

Does this sound like a hard drive problem?

XP Pro SP 3

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-09, 02:49 PM
are you getting any beeps at startup?

Old 12-30-09, 05:07 PM
I have a similar problem with one of my computers, what it was in my case was the RAM. All I did was to physically remove the RAM then reinstall and every thing was fine. Strange as its locked in place quite well, but by moving the machine possibly the RAM moved slightly.... oh well all works now, hopefully in your case it's something similar, but if not and as the PC is quite old the HDD may be on its way out, I would back up any info just incase.

Old 12-30-09, 05:20 PM
No. no beeps. The hard drive light comes on and stays on. After 2 or 3 shutdowns/restarts, it works. I think Annaka is right about the 'moving' and possible HDD impending trouble as well as a suspicious (read: caked in dust) power supply. I decided that the possible parts replacement bill was higher than the price of a used machine so I picked one up today. Thanks for the replies :-)