amd vs intel

Old 01-01-10, 10:53 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
amd vs intel

Hello
I got a pc with an amd processor for a gift I can exchange.
When I look at pcs, the better, or at least the more costly ones seem to have Intel processors.
Is Intel generally speaking, a better processor to the point where I should exchange it or not?
Thank you

Old 01-01-10, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 320 Posts
According to my PC mag, the newest lines of Intel CPU are trumping the AMD chips. The i7's and i5's cover pretty much everything from high end to budget in the best of lists.

Old 01-01-10, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
These two chip companies repeatedly out-do each other and if one is ahead right now past history shows it might not be for long.
Average users would likely not notice the marginal differences between the two.

Generally most folks have some type of budget when buying a computer and AMD is as trouble free as Intel but will give more bang for the buck.
Buying my latest laptop with an AMD/64 bit/dual core processor let me get a nearly loaded machine with Win7 for under $600.00.

Old 01-01-10, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I agree...only the most stringent test would show a difference.....and it would prob be measured in milli or micro seconds of difference.

btw....AMD just got a judgement I believe...not that it would affect the chips...but Intel needs to cough up a bunch of bucks.

Old 01-02-10, 04:16 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
amd

Hi
I was thinking of keeping this pc with AMD but the wife has already got the wheels in motion to send it back.
For me, the average user, it sounds like the difference would not have been noticeable.
I don't want to cross post but I had a thread going about 32 vs 64 bit as it is confusing.
It seems a lot is going 64 but you lose some accesories .
In my case 64 bit means updating the driver which is ok but I lose my camera software, I think. It is an Olympus Camedia D 580 zoom.I was not sure how to look it up to found it out.
I guess it is best to get with the times and go 64 bit.
But back to the thread, it seems within Intel and AMD there are a variety of processors. I will take the one that comes along with a machine just above the average selling Dell.
At my level, I will be ok. Another but, but, even Dell which used to have good parts has gone out of house so it's eeny meeny I guess.Thanx guys

Old 01-02-10, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
I think that with the availability on information online there could be a tenancy to over think things a bit.

Old 01-02-10, 08:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is a Ford vs Chevy sort of argument. The average user will see no difference.

Old 01-16-10, 04:10 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Peterr,

Depends on what you'll use your PC for. If it's just surfing the internet, reading email, or doing word processing; any computer using a processor made within the past 10 years will suffice.

If you're a power user, you should get something appropriate for your workload. These days, Intel outperforms AMD on most tasks. If you don't need the power, AMD offers better value. If you need the performance, you have to pay for it.

In addition to the processor, you also need to look at other components; like memory, disk space, graphics card, etc.

HTH,
Dennis

Old 01-16-10, 04:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
btw....AMD just got a judgement I believe...not that it would affect the chips...but Intel needs to cough up a bunch of bucks.
Now AMD can be profitable for 1 quarter in a row...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: