Firefox power grab

Old 01-03-10, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Firefox power grab

Has anyone else experienced Firefox, every 20 seconds or so peaking to 100% usage for about 4 seconds, then dying back to normal? I pull up performance and let it sit at idle and this phenomenon happens. Just curious if this is normal or not. I can be typing on a response and my typing on the page will quit, although I am way ahead of it. The text will appear in completeness after the 4 second lag.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 08:49 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
sounds like either something on the web checking out the computer or if it happens while not on the internet, a poorly performing "save" feature kicking in.

what other programs do you have running?

do you have and run a virus protection program regularly?

malware program?

Old 01-03-10, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't say I have that issue and I exclusively use Firefox. You can take a look here and see if it tells you anything....

Old 01-03-10, 09:39 AM
I should have mentioned; Dell Latitude D800, 2 Ghz ram, XP Home. Run Avast, Spybot both pretty regularly. Got me to thinking. I have Outlook in the background, but it still does it with Outlook off. Then I thought it could be my wireless mouse. Unplugged it, still does the same thing. Nothing else running. It is on all sites, not just this one. It does not affect typing while in Word, I notice. Only when using Firefox.

Old 01-03-10, 09:55 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
go to services in your task manager (processes specifically) and watch it as it runs. See if some program is firing up when the problem happens. Processes list % of cpu use. The program becoming active is not necessarily at the top.

also, if you see something in that list that does not look familiar or is just plain unknown to you, find out what it is.

Old 01-03-10, 10:01 AM
Mark, I was answering Nap's when you posted. Good information on the site. After working with the suggestions, I found out it was the "Themes". I was using a theme, and when I went back to the default theme, the stalling stopped. Man, thanks.

Old 01-10-10, 03:44 PM
Update: The problem came back. I truly believe I have it now. It was the google toolbar add on. Disabled it and all seems fine. I have a google search slot on the FF bar anyway, so why would I need two?

Old 01-26-10, 03:56 PM
Firefox saves its tabs and settings every so often in case it should crash randomly. Try THIS and see if it helps any.

Old 01-27-10, 05:31 PM
I was using FF and have went to Google Chrome. FF was consistently using over 1/2 gb of memory and this was with at most 3 tabs open.

Old 02-28-10, 05:30 PM
The power gobble eventually came back. I cannot find out how to keep the Prefetch from showing back up everytime FF starts. However, I downloaded a sort of in house clean up from Mozilla called Ramback. It dumps the cache whenever the demand gets high. I had, likewise, been experiencing 500mb of memory usage ever few seconds. After installing it, there is no power grab. In fact FF is only using around 100mb at peak. So far, so good.