Converting Volume knob into push button

Old 12-30-09, 10:36 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting Volume knob into push button

Have a question, I want to take this wheel/knob, and when you turn it, it turns the item on and as you bring up the volume, the device gets louder. Basic, right? Well, I broke the wheel. What I'm wondering, is that can I take That wheel thing off, and replace it with a button? For example, I just press it once, and it turns on and all the way to full volume? I tried searching around, and I ended up not having any luck, I guess it's the way I'm wording it.

Anyone able to offer some help?

Old 12-31-09, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Short answer, no. You need volume control. Having it come on at full volume will trash your speakers in short order. Did you just break the knob or the control itself? You can probably buy a replacement unit at Radio Shack or from the manufacturer and replace it with no more labor than putting in another type (inadequate) switch. What make and model of unit do you have. We may be able to help further with that info.

Old 12-31-09, 06:34 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you always run whatever it is at full volume then you can bypass the volume control and put an on/off switch in its place. But as Chandler said, it may damage the device or something connected to it. (What is it?)

Does it look like this? (Maybe with a shorter shaft?)

Image courtesy parts-express.com

There will be five wires or connections to the existing component: Two connections to the switch and three to the volume pot.

The switch is easy. Just connect the same two wires to the new switch.

The volume pot is a bit more challenging because you'll need only two of the three. You'll have to identify which two pass audio, then connect them together.

Old 01-10-10, 01:31 AM
R
Thanks for the replies. What it is is a PA unit for my POV. (I'm a volunteer firefighter.) It has a wheel that sticks out on the side of the controller. I'll take some pic's and upload them once it gets daylight outside.

Old 01-10-10, 07:01 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you open it up I'll bet you'll find the wheel was attached to the end of the shaft of a potentiometer like the one in the pic above. It may be a mini version.

You may be able turn it (maybe by extending the wires) so it pokes out the side. Then put a knob on it.

In video and film scripts, POV = Point of View. My brain was trying to work that meaning into your post.

In firefighter terminology, POV = Personally Owned Vehicle. I learned something new today.

Old 01-10-10, 01:16 PM
R
Maybe these pics will help.

A little black wheel would sit on top of the contraption (sp?) and as you turned it, the unit would turn on, volume would go up, etc.

Any ideas? I really wanna have this fixed soon, as for I'm currently borrowing one of my buddies PA setup.

Thanks for all the help so far though! I really appreciate it.

Old 01-10-10, 06:42 PM
J
Hard to see very well. Is is a round shaft with one flat side. If so you might go to a radio shop. Or you could measure the diameter of the shaft and go online and surely find something.

Old 01-12-10, 03:21 AM
R
Sorry for the crappy pictures, camera doesn't like to focus on the right thing and they looked fine on my phone haha... But I bought something today at radioshack that looked similar. I'm going to take some better pic's tomorrow once it gets daylight and take a pic of what i bought and see if it's the right thing, or if I could some how make it work.

Thanks! Now to make it through the night

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: