Password on Specific Programs?

Old 01-06-10, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Password on Specific Programs?

Is it possible to set a password on or limit access to just certain programs without setting up a logon profile/password? For example, I'd like to have a password required before my email program launches but on nothing else. I'm using Thunderbird but haven't found anything related to what I'm looking for in it.

(Using Vista Home Premium)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-10, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure of a way to do what you are asking for, but perhaps this would be suitable: [LIST=1]Install Portable Apps on a thumb drive. [LIST=2]Install Thunderbird on it (portable apps version of Tbird here).[LIST=3]Insert thumb drive when you want to use Tbird and remove it when your done.

If you are not familiar with Portable Apps, it is software that loads when you plug in the thumb drive which basically gives you another Start Menu. You can install applications directly to the thumb drive (rather than a PC's hard drive) which are accessible from the Portable Apps menu. When you unplug the thumb drive, all those apps disappear with it.

Limitation is that the apps must be written for portable apps, so you can't load MS Office on it (Open Office, however, does have a portable apps version).

GREAT way to carry your programs with you.

Old 01-09-10, 08:12 AM
    Interesting. I've heard of Portable Apps but have always been hesitant about putting too much valuable information on a thumb drive. I always lose those things Plus; although I've never had one fail; I've heard that thumb drives have a limited life.

Sounds like it might be worth looking into.

I did manage to find some free utilities that essentially rename executable files and only put them back to running condition when you enter a password but that seemed dangerous.

Anyway, thanks Chirk :-)