one browser

Old 01-08-10, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
one browser

hello
I know how to install Firefox.
If I do not want to fuss with MSIE 8 anymore, can I go to 'add/remove and, on the left where it says 'add/remove windows components, can I untic MSIE?
If I do this, will I not have to bother with the explorer again?
If this makes no difference, I will simply download FF and maintain two browsers.
I understand that FF can not be uninstalled so I hope it is worth it.
Thank you for any information regarding this subject.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-10, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 54 Posts
You cant uninstall IE because it's a part of Windows. You can go back to IE7, but don't know why you'd want to at this point. You CAN uninstall Firefox.
You can have as many browsers on your computer as you want. They'll only be running when you open it, otherwise they just sit there.

Old 01-08-10, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
FF can be uninstalled...don't know why or where you heard that.

Personally I'd just leave IE as is...there are some sites (not many) that still don't work well with FF or other browsers.

It won't hurt to have more than one on the PC...I have 3 and my wife has 4..though we both really only use 2. It IS best to only run one at a time...I sometimes have issues if I open IE after having FF running for a while...IE will just hang til I close FF. No big deal.

EDIT...as said...you can't remove IE anymore...all you can do is remove ACCESS to it from the desktop and shortcuts...not the same thing.

Old 01-09-10, 10:22 AM
browsers

Hi
Your information helped me decide to jst run msie 8.
I now know I can use both but why bother maintaining two and inviting conflicts if one will do.
Thank you

Old 01-09-10, 11:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
After you have used IE8 for a while and switch to FF, there's no comparison IMO. FF has less issues than IE has, but to each his own. Good luck wih it.

Old 01-09-10, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
I now know I can use both but why bother maintaining two and inviting conflicts if one will do.
There's no conflicts with having both at the same time and there's nothing to maintain. Updates are done automatically. I actually have four browsers, altho I usually just use either FF or IE8. Some websites seem to do better with one of them and have problems with the other, so it's good to have both just n case.

Old 01-09-10, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually under Windows XP you can uninstall IE. Don't know about Windows Vista or Windows 7. I just looked on my XP computer and can indeed uninstall IE. It's under the Add/Remove Windows Components.

Old 01-10-10, 01:40 PM
I use FF / Left IE7 as is

Hi,

Years ago I switched to FF because I was fed up with Vista (Home Premium) and IE "mem hogging".

I just selected to use FF as the default browser and left IE7 alone. (I forget where this option is, but you do have a choice as to the "default browser". Have had no problems with both browsers enabled. FF works well for me, Aieeeeeeeee! works for wife.

BTW, I spent weeks tweaking Vista to get rid of useless services and garbage that MS likes to load up on startup.

I only have 2GB RAM, but really have no performance issues.

Upgrading your video card also helps performance along with better visual.

--Ed

Old 01-10-10, 01:47 PM
browser

Yes, I did read that msie 8 can be uninstalled but you would still have msie 7 unless you have Win 7 where you can take explorer out of the pc but need to download a third party browser to surf the web.
Up until Win 7 , explorer is part of Windows.
I see what you mean about maintenance. I have xp so I could just not use it and accept updates thereby keeping it maintained.
If I use another browser like Firefox, which I read can be uninstalled, I would use some of its maintenace. Could you tell me what some maintencace items are like deletion of history and cookies etc?

Old 01-10-10, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by turbine682 View Post
Hi,

Years ago I switched to FF because I was fed up with Vista (Home Premium) and IE "mem hogging".

I just selected to use FF as the default browser and left IE7 alone. (I forget where this option is, but you do have a choice as to the "default browser". Have had no problems with both browsers enabled. FF works well for me, Aieeeeeeeee! works for wife.

BTW, I spent weeks tweaking Vista to get rid of useless services and garbage that MS likes to load up on startup.

I only have 2GB RAM, but really have no performance issues.

Upgrading your video card also helps performance along with better visual.

--Ed
>>I read on the web that using msconfig is the way to uninstall startup items but if you ask the forum at Major Geeks they will tell you to use a startup manager and never to use the system configuration utility via msconfig.
Which startup manager do you use to remove some startup items from loading at startup? I haven't found one that shows all items. Win Defender and Startup CPL are some mentioned. Ccleaner seems to have the best.

Old 01-13-10, 02:50 PM
Some Utilities

Hi,

I've used Autoruns and ProcessExplorer. Both are free downloads.. you can find them by doing a Google. Get both as they can work hand-in-hand, i.e., you can select a process in autoruns and link to the info in Process Explorer using mouse right click - verrrrrrry handy. Good utils! ProcessExplorer will search the web for info on a highlited process

I've also have licenses for RegistryFix which provides an option for managing Startups. Very good at at fixing registry, backups, filecleanup, etc. Cost$ for full usage, "free download" is teaser.

Registry Repair, Clean Up & File Fix for Windows

checkout TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals for great IT info, etc., etc. I just watched a video about "Flash (player) cookies" -- several folks use CCleanup, but I haven't researched it yet.

I've used "Services" under Vista to manage Startup Services... many services may be disabled as they are not needed (depends on your situation!). You can type the word "Services" in the "search" box under the Start Menu to access this MS Util.

Every now and then, stuff shows up again ( don't know why or how) and it needs to be re-disabled...

Hope this helps...

--Ed

Old 01-14-10, 10:59 AM
autoruns

I did download autoruns and immediately my laptop lost connectivitywith my router. I had to reset desk/lap to factory settings as I got nowhere trying to remdiate the problem.
I am not knowledgeable enough to know if there was a correlation or not.
I want to look at ProcessExplorer and thank you for the information I can study.

Old 01-14-10, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
f I use another browser like Firefox, which I read can be uninstalled, I would use some of its maintenace. Could you tell me what some maintencace items are like deletion of history and cookies etc?
Sorry, I missed this. Easy, peesy, you just have to click on "tools", then "options" (both IE and FF) to clear history, etc. Takes about a minute.

You know, in a nutshell, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", meaning I think you're worrying too much about nothing. Unless you're having specific problems, it's best to just leave things be. There's really no need to have to fuss so much with everything, unless there's a need. Just install them and have fun with them! Beer 4U2

Old 01-15-10, 09:22 AM
one browser

Hi Shady
I don't think I can change much after 7 decades but it's never to late to try. Maybe worry has kept me alive this long and through some wicked health issues.
I appreciate your advice about maintaining the browsers and I thank you.