Should I give Linux OS a try?

Old 01-09-10, 06:05 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I give Linux OS a try?

Does anyone have any experience or opinion about the Linux OS? I have a computer that is primarily used only for basic internet use. Other than that an occasional work document or to make some labels. I don't know anything about the Linux OS.

The reason that I am considering this is because the computer hard drive died in this computer and I have a spare hd to put in it but I no longer have the key to the windows program that is on the hd. Therefore I can't run the windows that is one the spare hd.

So I guess my questions would be can I load Linux onto this hd at startup? Will Linux run windows based programs? And just what are peoples opinions of Linux?

Thanks for any info that you can pass on to me. I do appreciate the help.

Old 01-09-10, 09:06 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Linux is my primary operating system. While there are ways to run Windows programs on Linux there is almost always a Linux equivalent that runs as well or better then the Windows program and is free. Installing programs is usually quicker and easier then in Windows.

You don't even need to install many Linux OSes to test if it will work on your system. You can use a live CD. I use PCLinuxOS and have for more the 3 years. The nice thing is you will find the forums for my flavor of Linux, PCLOS very helpful. Radically Simple PCLinuxOS

There are several versions available but for the beginner I would suggest the version labeled KDE Desktop. It comes with all the basic programs you need and a repository with about 10,000 more that cab be added as needed.

Old 01-10-10, 03:05 PM
E
Don't mean to hijack your thread kmeyer but I too have always been interested in LINUX. I have an old IBM Thinkpad 770x with 64 mb ram & Windows 98 on it that's sitting around doing nothing. Is there a Linux version that would make this old beast run a little faster?

Old 01-10-10, 03:18 PM
There are but you will need to look a bit for one. You can probably double the memory cheaply then most will run on it. I think Puppy will and Damn Small Linux should.

Old 01-10-10, 03:23 PM
E
I think that's what attracted me to Linux in the first place ... the great names for their OS's :-)

Old 01-11-10, 07:12 AM
J
just today I was browsing the forums at
freebsd.org and today or yesterday someone announced
dvd's (iirc) with freebsd loaded and ancillary programs
(I've installed a similar something, the freesbie live
cd, to a secondhand 1.0-something Mhz 40g computer.).
Freebsd is my primary OS (I have windows98 but no
longer dual boot) and I use it primarily as a desktop.
More time and expertise to maintain its updates, but
at least the info is centralized. You'd want to give
up other sedentary activities, maybe.
I have misgivings though, for many people a more
install-and-forget solution is more viable. But one
can always consider pcbsd or desktopbsd or something
rather than linux also... they are also free.

Old 01-11-10, 10:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 88 Posts
We use RedHat and SUSE linux here in the office on servers and they work pretty well. No personal experience with using it on a PC, though.

Old 01-11-10, 11:33 AM
BSD is a very stable and very good OS but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner with only Windows experience. Frankly I have never even got it to install though I have used Linux for many years. Of course I haven't tried in four or five years so it is probably a lot easier to install now.

Red Hat and Suse are very good but the free version is the beta product before the version they sell and may have some bugs because it is still in testing.

Ubuntu gets all the hype but personally I never liked it. Also you will need to install an updated version every few months.

The nice think about PCLinuxOS, the Linux I use, is it is a "rolling update". That means it is constantly being updated. You always have the latest version. No need to reinstall every six months. You simply check the repos every few days and down load any up dated software. With Ubuntu and some others including Suse and Redhat they save all the updates then release them in a new version basically meaning a reinstall.

Old 01-12-10, 11:20 AM
T
I use Ubuntu occasionally. It has a lot of minor updates without having to do a big reinstall, and you don't have to go to the new one. I'm a couple of versions behind now and it still works fine for what I do with it.

Old 02-04-10, 07:06 AM
M
Smile

Originally Posted by Editor View Post
I have an old IBM Thinkpad 770x with 64 mb ram & Windows 98 on it that's sitting around doing nothing. Is there a Linux version that would make this old beast run a little faster?
You can give DSL (Damn Small Linux) a try. It's fairly lightweight and will run faster than win 98 on your old ocmputer. There are quite a few lighter weight distros around. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. will give you more than you need to know about Linux distributions, their current popularity, origins, etc...

I use Linux/Win/Mac and have both good and bad feelings about all of them, but I feel there is much value in having access to multiple OS's.

ray2047 has a good point with live CDs. It's a good way to try an OS, but unless you have a pretty decent hardware setup, it's going to be sluggish, and may put you off to actually installing Linux on your box. If you have the time, internet connection, and like to experiment, download/burn 2-3 different ISO's and install them.

Regarding kmeyer301's original post, many people try and like Ubuntu as first-time Linux users. I currently use CentOS, and have used over a dozen different *n*x variants over the past 12 years, but finding what's best for you will probably be a "try it and see" experience.

Good luck! I hope you end up liking Linux (at least enough to use it in some capacity).

Old 02-14-10, 09:07 AM
L
Install and use Linux?

I have about 8 different flavors of Linux installed on different machines alongside Winduhs. My personal favorite is Linux Mint 7. The only drawback is that it comes with no games. The good part about that is that Linux games are plentiful and most of them are FREE. About the only time I run Winduhs is when I want to play Winduhs-only games. There is also software for Linux to emulate Winduhs, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
Most versions of Linux will probably run on that old computer.
If you get a "Live" version of Linux, you can boot from the CD (assuming the BIOS will allow that) and try it out before you install it. The only drawback to this option is that it runs a bit slower than if it were installed on the hard drive and it saves none of your settings (screen resolution, time zone, etc.).
Aside from the fact that most Linux software is FREE, it is also much, much less prone to attacks by virus, trojan, or hackers.
Let's all help Microsoft stamp out piracy - install Linux on your and your friends' machines.

Last edited by Lee Wilkerson; 02-14-10 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added line about old computers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: