USB ports just stopped working... Need Help !!!

Old 01-15-10, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy USB ports just stopped working... Need Help !!!

Hi, I have HP G60-230US Notebook PC running Windows Vista with 3 gig ram, about 1 year old. All I know is last evening while I slept, my computer rebooted itself while playing some music saved by me from a cd. This morning everything was fine. I was sitting in front of my PC this evening and all of a sudden I got some message telling me that it could not recognize a USB device. I had a wireless mouse, a controller for a simulator (game like device), and a fan cooler for under the laptop which is powered by the USB port. Since that message, The fan cooler is the only thing working, I have tried using different ports and tried plugging my zip drives and nothing is being recognized. Any Ideas where to look?

Old 01-15-10, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Mark: Don't know for sure, but it sounds like a driver problem. Have you gone to system properties and looked at the hardware drivers. They may have been corrupted causing the failure. Just a shot.

Larry

Old 01-16-10, 06:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I would try a system restore

Old 01-16-10, 09:53 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
some usb fixes

try some of the following...

Check the power management of the root hub(s) in Device manager and see whether the little box I marked is checked. If yes, uncheck it

unplug the computer from all things that are connected to it. If must unplug memory board for about 1 to 2 hrs.

renamed the folder "INF" (C:\windows\INF) to "INFbkp" ( just made a backup), and I took the computer of a friend and copied the "INF" folder of his computer and placed in my computer (of course that I placed his "INF" folder in my c:\windows\).
In other words, JUST COPY THE FOLDER "INF" OF A FRIEND'S COMPUTER AND REPLACE THE "INF" FOLDER IN YOUR COMPUTER. (Of course that you need take a friend's computer that have all usb ports working normally!!!).

if a USB device is still not working, go to device manager, you device should be there with a yellow mark, open it's properties, and click on reinstall drivers, and click on search for the driver, and put the following path: "C:\WINDOW\" and click on install. if you get a pop up saying that the driver is not secure, install it anyways.

Old 01-16-10, 02:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
I recently had this issue on an older Dell laptop, it would lock up the USB ports if I plugged in certain hubs or devices. I finally thought to get the most recent firmware update from the manufacturer's site, and since, the issue has stopped.

I suspect that one of the recent MS downloads updated something that the firmware didn't like...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: