Virus destruction

Old 01-17-10, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virus destruction

Hello,

I guess the virus guru's have finally caught up with me. I have a TERRIBLE virus on both my HP and Dell laptop. I would like to know the best way to both format both laptops and re-install my information (operatiing system, etc.)

Thanks,

Joey

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-10, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first -

back your documents and setting folder
this will be where you email boxes are located ( Outlook express and thunderbird ), bookmarks ( IE or Firefox ) and of course, music, photos, movies and any thing else ( assuming of course you save to the default locations for most programs anyways )

second -

if you cannot clean the virii in question complete out ( and sometimes you can but then the operating system is never quite the same ), the format followed by a reinstall may indeed be needed..

but often a reinstall of the operating system will just work

you do have the windows ( assuming it windows ) operating system disk do you? these are bootable..
recovery disks ( made the computer makers ) are also bootable

the difference is a recovery disk generally wipes the drive clean then images back to a fresh installed state, all data is potentially lost if you do not back up first

and a windows disk will re install the operating system and not wipe ( unless you choose to do so ) the drive, the data remains intact, so do the virus, but most if not all virus are embedded in the registry as run on boot commands or system dlls and thus are inactive and are easily cleaned, the data you wish to save is also easily recovered once you take "ownership" of the previous account(s)

once you got a clean install system
then you need to set up you defenses

I personally use AVG Free edition ( grisoft ), Spybot Search and Destroy ( safernetworking ) and Adaware ( lavasoft ), that with my wireless router using MAC filtering, PSK logons, and Firefox and Thunderbird as my web browser and email clients mean i have few attacks and thus needs to reinstall the OS.