procedure

Old 01-18-10, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
procedure

I have a desktop and laptop with a router to connect them.
I know how to connect them but am unsure how to configure the software. There is a disk for the router which helps find ip address etc but my question is,
should you be offline to configure?
If I put the disk in, I will lose online connectivity.
What are the basic mechanical steps to perform once the hardware is in place?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-10, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Quick question, Peterr. Are wanting to run these computers with the same data and programs at the same time? Or are you just wanting to have them both connect to the internet using the router set up. The router should be hardwired to the desktop tower via cat 5, and all your configurations are done from that computer. The laptop will follow suit automatically based on the information you put on the desktop.

Old 01-18-10, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Your computers should be set to automatically obtain IP address from the router because the router acts as a DHCP

IF they don't then follow below:
If your running XP or later on your systems, the router can be your DHCP. Connect each computer to any port 1-4 (if its a 4 port router) Go to Start>My network places>properties> right click local area connection and go to properties. Go to internet protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. Select Obtain an IP automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. OK

If you are still having issues, most routers can be accessed by opening a browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox) and in the address line type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0. A screen will open asking you for a user name and password. The default user name is either blank or "admin" and the default password is blank or "password"

All the disk that comes with a router does is change the above settings for you.

Old 01-19-10, 09:28 AM
router set up

I did not give enough information. I have win xp sp3 on both pcs and I use the router only as a means of getting the laptop online not for networking.

Sorry I do not know what cat 5 is.

I connect the isp cable to the modem >router>pc.

If I am set to go online and I insert the disc, will it confuse things or should I not go online and let the wizard do its work?

Old 01-19-10, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Cat 5 is just the cable that you connect the computer to the router.

Toss in the wizard disk first. It will likely tell you what you need to do as far as when to connect your computer to the router.

Or you can just connect your computer up to the router, set your TCP/IP to automatically obtain IP and see if your good to go.

Old 01-19-10, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Cat 5 is just the cable that you connect the computer to the router.

Toss in the wizard disk first. It will likely tell you what you need to do as far as when to connect your computer to the router.

Or you can just connect your computer up to the router, set your TCP/IP to automatically obtain IP and see if your good to go.
>>By tcp/ip do you mean to go to internet connections and click something there?