Avast 5.0

Old 01-21-10, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Avast 5.0

Be careful if you get the notice to upgrade from 4.8 to 5.0. The hoops you will have to jump through are lined up offset and inches apart and on fire.
I finally got mine going, so if you have problems, post them either here or go the the Avast support page and check out their solutions.

Old 01-21-10, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 369 Votes on 319 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I see I'm still running 4.8 and have not been asked to upgrade to 5.0. Any issues I should watch for?

Old 01-21-10, 06:30 PM
Yeah, if you load it over 4.8, as they say you can do, the program will not boot. The displayed page will show that the program is shut down and you are at risk. Big "X"s on everything. You won't be able to "uninstall" 4.8 while 5.0 is installed. You will have to open windows in safe mode, use a program such as awsclear.exe to remove 4.8. Then on restart to regular mode it should work. Mine did.
You may want to go to the Avast home page, support, forums and see what problems they are having with 5.0. Sort of like our daylight savings time snafu.

Old 01-21-10, 08:53 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I loaded the latest "free" version of Avast a couple of months ago. Everytime I would boot up my computer I got a message that I had xx days left on my free trial. It became more insistant as I got closer to the date so I uninstalled it and went back to AVG free edition.

I'll stick with AVG.

Old 01-22-10, 04:33 AM
All you had to do was request a key, and insert it in the "about avast" place where the key goes, then it would stop reminding you.

Old 01-22-10, 08:43 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
We have one computer that we use Avast and we used to here a computer voice, at least once a day, announce the it was updated. We haven't heard it for about 2 months now. What do you think?

Old 01-22-10, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 144 Posts
I use Avast and it still announces every day that it was updated. You need to re-register every year with Avast and if you haven't done this, this is probably why you're not getting updates any longer.

Anyway, I haven't had a request to update to version 5 yet, so thanks for the warning Chandler. I'll wait till the bugs are fixed until I do.

Old 01-22-10, 01:10 PM
Mine expires April 1, 2010.

Old 01-22-10, 01:26 PM
Johnam, I'd go into the Avast program and make sure your preferences show an automatic update. It may be unchecked. OR, you may have the computer muted like I do, unless my grandaughter wants to video with Windows Live. She has a new computer with the camera built in.

Old 01-22-10, 07:10 PM
Chandler, I don't know how the setting changed, but you were right. I checked it this afternoon and "that little guy in the computer" just told me that "the virus database has been updated". Thank you.

Old 01-22-10, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 369 Votes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Yeah, if you load it over 4.8, as they say you can do, the program will not boot. The displayed page will show that the program is shut down and you are at risk. Big "X"s on everything. You won't be able to "uninstall" 4.8 while 5.0 is installed. You will have to open windows in safe mode, use a program such as awsclear.exe to remove 4.8. Then on restart to regular mode it should work. Mine did.
You may want to go to the Avast home page, support, forums and see what problems they are having with 5.0. Sort of like our daylight savings time snafu.
Um, yeah. Them are some issues. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-22-10, 08:16 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furd View Post
I loaded the latest "free" version of Avast a couple of months ago. Everytime I would boot up my computer I got a message that I had xx days left on my free trial. It became more insistant as I got closer to the date so I uninstalled it and went back to AVG free edition.

I'll stick with AVG.
hmm, I joined this forum to ask about a leaking shower head but then saw this thread...
I LOVE AVAST! I used to use AVG Free but got a nasty virus on my computer with it and based on a friend's advice, switched to AVAST Free. I left AVG on my second computer, until I got a virus on that one too .
AVAST has kept me safe since then. I checked and I have 4.8, and haven't gotten any upgrade messages... thank for the heads up though... I'll hold off on upgrading to 5.0.
But the main think is,

AVAST is the bomb!

Now about that shower head... I guess I'll ask that in the morning...

Old 01-26-10, 02:19 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
malwarebytes too!

I just wanted to add that I also use malwarebytes and run it every few weeks. I highly recommend it, as it too found a virus on my computer. You can get a free copy at Malwarebytes.org, and donate if you like it.

Old 01-26-10, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't like Avast 5.0 The college my GF attends uses a stupid program to make sure your computer has updated A/V, and updated spyware programs on it. Well this program worked great with 4.8, and I would have been fine with using 4.8 til I was forced to upgrade to 5.0...Well that was until my compute crashed. I couldn't find 4.8 to download and was stuck with downloading 5.0. Well the program that the college uses says that there is NO A/V installed on my computer. So I had to switch back to AVG which I don't like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: