back up

Old 01-22-10, 09:51 AM
back up

I have read about backups all the way to imaging and off site.
I am small time but have some info in my docs I would not want to lose and also a page of passwords etc the same.
I back up each to a flashdrive but don't like one drive back up yet don't want to be neurotic about it either.
Can someone suggest an easy way to backup this information which changes during the course of the week?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-10, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
I have an external hard drive attached to my home PC and the work machine. I back up each to the one attached and bring the work external drive home every few weeks and back up the home external HD to it as well (so two backups on the home stuff).

Old 01-23-10, 08:05 AM
backup

Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
I have an external hard drive attached to my home PC and the work machine. I back up each to the one attached and bring the work external drive home every few weeks and back up the home external HD to it as well (so two backups on the home stuff).
>>How do you back up to the external hard drive with just a usb cable and "save as" or imaging or?
I would be interested in a few details so I could purchase the right accessories. and know what to do.
I have an incidental question if I may; before you back up to the ext drive, do you delete the contents of it or just write over it?
I ask because I delete. An overwrite to flash drives causes some problems like duplicate files.
Thank you

Old 01-23-10, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
I just bought a WD portable external drive. I ordered online, so haven't gotten it yet. The software is already installed on it so you just plug it in a usb port and a control center will open letting you choose automatic backups or not and other options. Seems easy enough. Comes in different hard drive space, too.

Old 01-24-10, 06:30 AM
back up

I have been reading about them and some have fire wire for more speed. I can settle for lees $ and use usb.
I was looking at one for around 100$ with 500 gb space.
As long as it is substantially bigger than the hard dive of my pc.
Some mention backup "to be safe" and others don't so I am wondering if there is a backup feature in case something goes wrong.
Also some mention password protect so I guess like everything you pay more and get more features.
I read nothing about recovery after backup but I am assuming it is just the reverse so you just follow the software prompts.

Old 01-24-10, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
The one I bought was a 500GB for $99 from Amazon.
The backup to be safe is in case something happens to your computer, you'll have a copy of your important files, etc.
Most of them, including the one I bought, have the automatic backup feature, so you don't have to do anything. If something happens, the control center will give you the option to recover or restore. Yeah, just follow the software prompts.
As for speed, the larger the backup disk, the slower it is.
Just the way it is. I don't think any of them will be super fast.

Old 01-24-10, 11:21 AM
backup

That is what I would like -500 GB for about $100.
Do you know if there is any advantage to simply backing up with the external hard drive software or imaging?
I read you could use Acronis and image your entire o.s. to the ext drive in case of failure. This way you would not have to reformat, reinstall, especially all those drivers and programs.

Old 01-24-10, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
I'm by no means any expert on backups and drives. I only know what I've been reading about them in trying to decide which one to buy.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure if you buy a drive with software already on it, there's no need to buy/use a third party software. That's only going to do the same thing that the software included is doing.
You'll have the option of backing up everything or only the files you choose.
If you should have a hard drive failure, I think you'd have to buy a new internal drive so no need to reformat, but you'd probably have to reinstall your programs and then just restore your important files.

Old 01-25-10, 08:31 AM
back up

I too have been reading and asking so I can make an informed choice, $ being a factor.
It seems that the techs like to 'image' with Ghost and True Image and others. It takes a snapshot of the drive.
I read though, that an issue may cause you to lose all data on both ends.
Also, I Googled something like, "Problems with back up and Win 7."
Apparently there is a technical glitch and Acronis and Win 7 are not working together. It is taking some people over 24 hours to get to 70% back up.
Another consideration is that Windows 7 pro has a backup feature built in that does not come with basic. By the time you buy Pro, the price is probably the same as if you bought a third party.
This is why I was asking about backing to the ext drive with its own software.
I was looking for someone who has actually backed their hard rive to the ext one as to how long it took.
Have you backed up your hard drive with your 2.0 usb ext hard drive, may I ask? If so, how big was the drive and how long did it take?
If anyone wants to jump in with comments about firewire vs usb and other factors I would love to hear from you too.
Thank you, Shady

Old 01-25-10, 08:56 AM
back up

I also use a WD external. It is book sized, uses one USB connection (data and power) and is 1TB (100 GB) that I bought on sale at Best Buy for $99.

The good thing is that it is fast and easy to hook up (plug in the USB) since I do not want to leave it hooked up to my computer so it is a true independent back-up because I keep it separate. This makes it easy to download any files from the hard drive I care to by copying them to my laptop.

I do not use a backup program, but create a time dated folder for each time I back-up (usually weekly) my data files or other files, so I do not end up over-writing my old files and they are saved until erased by me.

I back up both my 200 GB (50% filled including operating systems and many programs) and my 160 GB (40% filled) from my desktop and store the drive separately from my computer, but with the 1 TB capacity I haven't had to erase any files. I don't have the hard drive password protected, but I probably should.

Dick

Old 01-25-10, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
I just drag and drop a handful of folders. I keep them within another folder on the external drive so I can copy without deleting the old one. Once the new copy is made, I delete the old one and move the new one into the folder.

Old 01-25-10, 09:51 AM
backup

The Western Digital 1 T sounds great for that price. Is it usb or firewire?
I think I have the idea and look forward to experimenting when I get it.
I like the idea that you create the new before erasing the old.
Could you help me think my current procedure through until I obtain the new parts?
I insert a flash drive in the desktop and erase it so there will be no conflicts I was getting when I overwrote the files. I then 'select all' from my docs. Next I 'send to' or 'save as' the files and they are transferred to the flash drive, except now they are updated.
I really got in trouble a while back by messing with the My Docs folder, that is why I 'select all' and use only those files.
I then insert the updated flash into my laptop. I 'select all' from My Docs in the laptop and erase them, once again to avoid problems with over writing.
Next I 'select all' from my flash drive and copy to My Docs in the lap.
Now my dektop, flashdrive and laptop are the same.
I know it is awkward so any ez tips would be appreciated. I also tried to involve a second drive like cd-rw but it is a lot of work.
Thank you
P.S. Oh, btw, how long, roughly, does the back up take and also the restore?

Old 01-27-10, 03:35 PM
You might consider an on-line backup if you don't have that much data. I have network drives for multiple backups, but my critical files are also backed up on Mozy - Safe, Secure, Affordable Online Backup on-line backup. They have a 2gig free account. The files can be backed up in realtime, so they're practically "up to the minute".

Old 01-28-10, 02:55 PM
backup

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
You might consider an on-line backup if you don't have that much data. I have network drives for multiple backups, but my critical files are also backed up on Mozy - Safe, Secure, Affordable Online Backup on-line backup. They have a 2gig free account. The files can be backed up in realtime, so they're practically "up to the minute".
>>My data is not something I would want anyone to see.
How can you be sure the o.l. back up sites are really secure? They read like they are safe but I wish there was a way of verifying it rather than taking their word.
I'll delve furhter and thank you for the advice; it may prove to be useful.

Old 01-28-10, 03:24 PM
Well, other than taking their word, I guess there's no way to be truly 100% sure.

Old 01-29-10, 09:37 AM
back up

I consulted reliable sources who told me not to put any sensitive information on line.
They recommend an external hard rive.
I could be wrong but I feel online banks, those with tight security are ok but they really are a different issue.
I'll be looking at some ext. hard drives and hope it as easy as using a usb cable with the drive's software to back up the hard drive and restoring it in case of failure.

Old 01-29-10, 11:23 AM
Truthfully, there are a lot more "hands" in the mix at an on-line financial institution than places like on-line backup firms. Since their stock in trade is minimal manual intervention (making it cheap to operate the service), there are a lot fewer cracks in the armor. I feel a lot better about my data at Mozy than I do at on-line financial firms!

That external drive is only useful if it didn't burn with the computer in that house fire.

I have one of my NAS units in the basement in a cinderblock enclosure in hopes it would survive a fire.

Old 01-30-10, 09:40 AM
back up

The house fire makes a solid argument for off site storage.
If you ask two doctors for an opinion you will likely get two different opinions.
I think I will go with odds, nothing being perfect. Good luck.
Btw, I find the font here very small, is it increased at the forum or with the browser. I have been trying to no avail.
Thank you

Old 01-30-10, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
The house fire makes a solid argument for off site storage.
If you ask two doctors for an opinion you will likely get two different opinions.
I think I will go with odds, nothing being perfect. Good luck.
I have secure on-site storage and also off-site storage, I'm hoping luck doesn't enter into the picture.

Btw, I find the font here very small, is it increased at the forum or with the browser. I have been trying to no avail.
Thank you
I use Firefox and the default text size. Some of the fonts are a bit small, but the main message fonts seem plenty large. This also varies depending on the resolution of your screen and the screen size.

Old 01-30-10, 11:36 AM
font

A fluke occured in that I tried; 1- resoluton in the control panel, 2- F.F. text size change and, 3- F.F. zoom, using 'text only'.
I switched over to MSIE 8 and all was fine with it.
I have not yet returned to F.F. but I think when I do, it will be fine there also.
If not I would let you know as a courtesy.
If you would like to read about an interesting back up, go to REbit. I am considering getting the 1T as their software seems quite comprehensive. The downside is the one year warranty. That made me consider W.D.'s SmartWare whch comes with six of their drives.
I believe Rebit is part of Seagate who took over Maxtor.

Old 01-30-10, 12:06 PM
I'm happy with my scheduled backups, so I think I'll let you do the beta testing of these backup applications.

Old 02-01-10, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Just an update, I got the drive and the software that comes with it absolutely stinks! It won't let you backup most of your computer and there's no way to tell it "I want these files backed up". I'm really surprised WD would put out such awful software.
Anyway, so I used the backup utility that came with my computer and it did a great job and backed up everything I wanted.
So, if you get an external drive, use other software.
As for fires, the one I bought is really small, the size of a wallet. You can always put it in a fireproof box between backups.

Old 02-01-10, 06:44 AM
I've never seen bundled backups with any drive that were worth looking at, nice to know WD has validated my opinion.

Old 02-01-10, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Just an update, I got the drive and the software that comes with it absolutely stinks! It won't let you backup most of your computer and there's no way to tell it "I want these files backed up". I'm really surprised WD would put out such awful software.
Anyway, so I used the backup utility that came with my computer and it did a great job and backed up everything I wanted.
So, if you get an external drive, use other software.
As for fires, the one I bought is really small, the size of a wallet. You can always put it in a fireproof box between backups.
>>I read that Western Digital has had to send out cds to "patch" their blunder.
Did you ever get a chance to look at Rebit.
Perhaps you could return your defective W.D. and try something else.
Do you have any software in mind that might be able to find a lost file for example?
Hope things work out for you and thank you for your kind heads up.

Old 02-02-10, 05:20 AM
software

Hi Shady
Could you please help me understand what you mean by the following quote about your own pc utilty?
Are you able to find an individual file you may lose with it?
Are you referring to Windows 7 back up? I would like to know how it works; I only have xp home.
I am looking for a back up that will find lost files but can't seem to do that.

"Anyway, so I used the backup utility that came with my computer and it did a great job and backed up everything I wanted."

Thank you

Old 02-02-10, 05:57 AM
A backup that finds lost files? Explain how that would work?

Old 02-02-10, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
I have an HP computer, and HP supplied the backup utility. Just opened it up and clicked on Backup. Nothing to it. I'm planning on upgrading to Windows 7 this weekend so then I'll have a chance to check out the backup that comes with that.

As for finding lost files, I don't think it can find lost files that are on your computer. If you've backed up in the past and then lost them on your computer, it can restore any files that were there before something happened to them. It can't find them after the fact though. Is this what you mean?

Old 02-02-10, 07:14 AM
You also have to know what files are "lost" so you know to find them in the backup and restore them.

Old 02-02-10, 12:24 PM
lost files

Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
I have an HP computer, and HP supplied the backup utility. Just opened it up and clicked on Backup. Nothing to it. I'm planning on upgrading to Windows 7 this weekend so then I'll have a chance to check out the backup that comes with that.

As for finding lost files, I don't think it can find lost files that are on your computer. If you've backed up in the past and then lost them on your computer, it can restore any files that were there before something happened to them. It can't find them after the fact though. Is this what you mean?
>>Thanx for the reply about the HP back up utility. It is good to keep in mind.
Some of the articles I have been reading about, and some forums like Major Geeks and What the Tech, talk about software that backs up the operating system as well as files and folders. They say you can retrieve a lost file because the image of it has been backed up.
I think imaging with Acronis True Image or Ghost by Norton are two of these imaging companies.
I am trying to find out if there is software that will allow for full system back up and file recovery. Western Digital 's ads read as though 6 of their hard drives will recover a lost file.
The program Rebit also purports the same thing.
I'm happy that you are satisfied with your back up system as is the other gent in this trialogue.
I am in the process of gathering as much information as I can before I purchase.
It is difficult because as we all know you can't believe all you read and not many people are willing to help each other.
maybe someone who cn help will jump in with a supportive attitude.
Have a good one.

Old 02-02-10, 12:29 PM
I've used Acronis True Image for quite some time, and Norton Ghost before that. Ghost used to be the standard on which other imaging utilities were judged, but they've bloated it like their other products so much that it's unrecognizable anymore.

Old 02-03-10, 02:01 PM
Acronis sounds solid.

Can you retrieve a single file in case you accidently lose one and know what the name of it is? I am not aware of the recovery options.
What is the best way to backup, full or incremental?
Do the old files drop off as the drive gets full?
Any help would be appreciated in this area and help me decide what to purchase.
Thank you

Old 02-03-10, 02:20 PM
You can mount True Image files like a disk and use Windows Explorer to copy one or many files from the image.

I do only full backups and I keep them four deep. Once a week they automatically run and I delete the oldest image and slide the new one to the head of the line.

Old 02-04-10, 12:56 PM
lost file

I think I have been vague about lost file retrieval.
The other day I hit the wrong button and thought a file went to the recycle bin.
It wasn't there. I keep two flash drives that back up what I do not have on disc or the o.s. itself. Luckily I had the file in my flash drive.
If I had Shady's backup software or Gun's image, could I have retrieved that file, assuming I know the name.?
If so, I would like to upgrade to a full system backup in case of hard rive failure or some other catastrophy. I think Gun anwered it when he said you can, "Mount True Image files like a disk and use windows explorer to locate a single file."
Without having used the program, it is hard to follow that but at least I have a general idea.
I guess you insert the True image disk, and use Windows Explorer to locate the file; then you can click to restore it.
Has anyone else out there had any experinces they wish to share and enlighten??

Old 02-04-10, 04:14 PM
Actually, a True Image backup image is just a large file. If you have True Image installed, you can simply right click on the image file and select Mount. It will appear as a new drive just like any other drive. If you choose to mount it R/W, you can even modify the image, though I highly recommend against that option.

Old 02-04-10, 10:09 PM
The best (IMO) way to insure against data loss is to use two disk drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration. Anything written on one disk is simultainiously written on the other disk i.e., the data is mirrored. If one drive fails, the other continues on as normal and maintains data integrity. Since it reduces the human factor, i.e. no action is required, it is very reliable. There is good write up about it in in WIKIPEDIA, enter "RAID 1" in the WIKI search box.

Nothing protects against human error, so a redundant backup is necessary for very important files.

If a file is mistakenly erased, it can be retrieved with free software available on CNET. When a file is erased, the first letter in the file name is replaced by a "?" and Windows ignores that file as if it did not exist. The retrieval software finds all "?" files and allows you to change the "?" thus making the file available again. It must be done quickly as Windows will eventually overwrite the file with a different new file.

Old 02-05-10, 05:19 AM
Actually, RAID of any level is not backup. RAID-1 (or RAID-5/10) just offers hardware redundancy in the case of a failure. Any software glitch, virus action, or deliberate change/removal of data will be cheerfully carried out on all redundant copies.

The best way to insure against data loss is backup early and often.