backing up

Old 01-23-10, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
backing up

Hello, I have a Seagate external HD that I use to backup certain files and documents. In the past, I backed them up as individual files or folders. My question.... can I delete everything off of the Seagate HD and then just drag my C: drive to it and copy the entire drive to it? Or is there a better way to save all of my files and folders to my Seagate? Thanks in advance for the help, D

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-10, 05:42 AM
You could do that, but many of the files on the C drive would just take up unnecessary space on the backup drive. The Windows OS, most program files, the swap file, and many others can't simply be dragged back if something goes wrong with the C drive. Windows and most programs must be re-installed in order to operate properly.

Didn't the Seagate come with a backup utility? If so, be careful with settings. Deleting something off the C drive may also delete it off the backup unless you tell it not to.

Norton Ghost is another option. It makes a copy of everything on the hard drive that can then be restored in the event of a C drive failure. It's good for the initial backup of a working machine, but not for day-to-day backups of data files.

I've found the easiest way is to put all data into one master folder. Under the master folder are any number of category folders (music, photos, email, browser favorites & history, and individual program data files such as Word docs). Drag 'n' drop the master folder to the backup.

Old 01-26-10, 03:23 PM
check out acronis

I use Acronis and love it. It was rated better than Norton Ghost when I got it. You can do a full backup, and then do incremental backups after that, and it compresses everything to save space. Then if you mess up a file, you can find it on your acronis backup and just restore that file (or the whole folder, or the whole thing). It also allows you to clone a disk.
I would check it out.

Old 01-26-10, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I'm in line with Rick's suggestion - I have everything in a small number of folders and just back those up. I then place them all inside another folder on the external HD. There's a lot of room on the external, so this allows me to make the new copy before I delete the old one.