I just screwed up my new website!!!

Old 01-29-10, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just screwed up my new website!!!

Last week I a host for a website. I also bought and had installed a software program to use on that website that came with preloaded catagory names that I want to change to use the names that I want. Now when it comes to computer language, I am a total I D TEN T!!!
It says to open & edit the config.pl file. Also says do not use html as it will destroy perl scripting.text editors. Using an FTP, you must use ASCII. I have no idea what all that means.
Anyway, I went into the config.pl file to change names. As I was deleting the name to replace it with my name, I wasn't paying attention and when I lokked up, I was at the top of the page. I don't know why it jumped to the top of the page, but apparently I deleted at least part of some very important script. Now I can not get my website to open. Here is the message I get:
Bareword "ope4sale" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /home/users/web/b864/ipg.ope4salecom/cgi-bin/classified/classified.pl line 4329.
Bareword "com" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /home/users/web/b864/ipg.ope4salecom/cgi-bin/classified/classified.pl line 4329.
Execution of /home/users/web/b864/ipg.ope4salecom/cgi-bin/classified/classified.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

Any idea what I may have done?

Old 01-29-10, 01:12 PM
never mind. I got it restored.

Old 01-29-10, 07:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you have a really complicated webhost.

Old 01-29-10, 08:35 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Perl is old, but still quite viable.

indypower, ALWAYS save the previous to both your hard drive and the server (by renaming it) before you upload the new. If you get in trouble, you have both FTP from your hard drive and rename/overwrite from the command page to revert.

The easiest way to upload an ASCII file is to copy & paste into Notepad, then save the Notepad file as any name you want. A .pl file would replace the .txt created by Notepad.

Old 01-30-10, 05:54 AM
Chandler, its not the web host. It is the computer language that is complicated. Pearl, htlm, fpt, java, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: