Virtual memory

Old 02-03-10, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virtual memory

What the heck is that? At least once a day a get a message that the memory is to low and windows is increasing the size. I can't remember the complete statement that appears, but if you need it to help this idiot, I can write it down next time it appears and post it.

At the end of the message it says if I need further information see Help, but I can't find that anywhere.

Please forgive my stupidity and thanks in advance for any help..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-10, 08:43 AM
Virtual memory is used to describe the use of hard disk space as RAM. Search the video section on this site, or click on one of the videos on the right to get some info.

Old 02-03-10, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
Virtual memory is used to describe the use of hard disk space as RAM. Search the video section on this site, or click on one of the videos on the right to get some info.

Thank you so much for your help. Guy's like you amaze me. Of course I am an old guy, and still can't figure out how a transitor radio works with out wires

Old 02-03-10, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just a note also...VM is much slower than actual installed memory. You may notice more hard drive activity when that happens. Normally a simple fix is to add more installed memory if the machine will accept it. Its cheap and most any 15 y/o could prob do it in their sleep.

Old 02-03-10, 12:25 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The computer I use the most had only 128 MB of RAM and took forever to boot up and shut down. When in operation the hard drive was constantly reading and writing. I bought a 1 GB memory board for about $30 and now the thing boots or shuts down in less than a minute. No more constantly searching hard drive either. Probably the best $30. I ever spent.

Old 02-03-10, 08:05 PM
Yeah I did fail to at least mention that there is a better solution.
It's true, virtual memory is just a way Windows compensates for the need for more RAM. It makes your computer slow and ya should'nt have to put up with it.

For such a chincy answer I shall owe you an analogy to illustrate a comparison between RAM and virtual memory.

Let's say I was rebuilding a carburetor.
and lets say that RAM is my worktable that I can lay the project out on and virtual memory is like the cabinets and drawers I keep my tools and spare carb parts in.
If I have a small worktable (RAM) that doesn't allow me to layout everything I need to complete the project, then I have to keep putting things away and retrieving them from my cabinets and drawers (virtual memory) as I work. But if I increase the size of my worktable, (RAM) then I can lay out more tools and parts and complete the project more quickly since I'm able to eliminate the legwork.

If you right click on your "My Computer" icon and click the last item on the menu box (properties) It will tell you how much RAM you currently have installed.

Old 02-04-10, 08:32 AM
It shows that I have 248MB of RAM. How to I tell how much I have used?

Thanks again for all the help..Beer 4U2

Old 02-04-10, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
What operating system are you using? If XP...you can hit Ctrk-Alt-Del all at once and it will bring up Task manager...click on the processes tab and there should be a box that says physical memory....it will show usage.

Old 02-11-10, 03:36 AM
Todays applications and such need more memory to run properly, ram is the way to go, you will experience a noticeable increase in your computer. If you have an older computer that requires older type ram like say SD, or even DDR then it is a little more expensive than ram for todays computers but still cheaper than buying a new computer.

Old 02-11-10, 01:47 PM
Thanks again for all the information. As I understand it, I cannot delet anything from my computer (windows XP system) that would give me back any memory. (My son also uses the computer and it is filled with shortcuts for songs, videos, etc.)

I will need to buy a system to give me more RAM. Is this something that I buy and download, or does it require removing something from inside the computer and installing a new board of some kind?

Sorry to be a pain, but like I said before, this stuff is way beyond my know how.....

Old 02-11-10, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
How about giving an actual model number off the sticker with the serial number. You didn't say if you did any of the suggested things.

If you click here.. RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com and download their small program (system scanner) it will tell you what max memory you can have.

I have a used PC thats at least 6-7 yrs behind current tech...and it works just fine. Music, video, internet etc...more than meets my needs.

We/you need to know what you have before we can help.