What free software do you like?

Old 02-14-10, 02:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What free software do you like?

What free software program have you found useful and what does it do? I responded to another post about WINPATROL. I ran across it recently when I was trying to get my computer to start faster. It tells you what's running in the background and lets you stop it or remove it. For a fee you can get the advanced version which links back to the web site and gives you detailed information about what each thing is used for. I didn't need that much information I only selected things that I knew I didn't need and shut them down. If you make a mistake you simply undue what ever program you stopped.

Old 02-14-10, 07:54 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I use PPT to Video to convert my PowerPoint presentation to video so that I can put it to YouTube and share with people. It's a free program and I really like it. I think it allows people who don't have PowerPoint installed on their computer to watch the presentation online at ease. It's a great assistant to me.

Old 02-14-10, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
A handy little free app I like is CPUID (CPU-Z) It allows you to see what type of hardware/software is on a system. Good for doing upgrades on a system. Here is a quick list:

CPU
* Name and number.
* Core stepping and process.
* Package.
* Core voltage.
* Internal and external clocks, clock multiplier.
* Supported instructions sets.
* Cache information.

Mainboard
* Vendor, model and revision.
* BIOS model and date.
* Chipset (northbridge and southbridge) and sensor.
* Graphic interface.

Memory
* Frequency and timings.
* Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table.

System
* Windows and DirectX version.

Old 02-14-10, 09:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
IrfanView. It is very good image manipulation software. If fact so good I use it in Linux under Wine rather then equivalent Linux programs.

FreeCell Pro. Much better then MS Freecell or any of the Linux versions of Freecell because of extra options like being able to check if a game is winnable and if not allows you to go back one move at a time. Again one of the few Windows software programs I use in Linux.

Old 02-15-10, 01:22 AM
GIMP for image manipulation and OpenOffice because I don't want to pay for an MS Office license for simple home use.

Old 02-15-10, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lets see, I use Avast! 4.8 free for my virus protection, OpenOffice for my document creations, CD Burner XP for CD burning. There are a few others, but i can't think of them off the top of my head. I'm not on my regular computer right now

Old 02-15-10, 09:36 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Agree Gimp is great for Photoshop type image manipulation. Since all I need is a word processor I use Abiword.

Old 02-15-10, 02:27 PM
F
I love IrfanView for image manipulation. Gimp is good too, but I don't like how it opens in several windows. I regularly use a Mac though so those aren't options for me at home.

For my Mac, my favorite free programs would be Adium for instant messaging, Transmission for downloading torrents, VLC Player for playing videos, Audacity for audio editing and Hulu Desktop for watching TV shows.

Old 02-15-10, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
C'mon Cory, jump up to Avast 5.0!!!!! You'll sit there in wonder at the mess it makes of your computer. I am getting a popup indicating there is an even bigger and better Avast 5.2 available. Wonder what problems they will infer upon us with that one. Avast is a good program, but stay with 4.8 until the bugs are worked out.

Old 02-15-10, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler
C'mon Cory, jump up to Avast 5.0!!!!! You'll sit there in wonder at the mess it makes of your computer. I am getting a popup indicating there is an even bigger and better Avast 5.2 available. Wonder what problems they will infer upon us with that one. Avast is a good program, but stay with 4.8 until the bugs are worked out.
I did use Avast 5...for like 2 hours. My college doesn't like it, and wouldn't allow me on the network with it. Went back to 4.8 and things have been swell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: