type of RAM

Old 02-04-10, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
type of RAM

I want to install more RAM in my computer I know its ddr2 type but what does the PC2 4200 mean compared to PC2 6400? I have a HP with vista, I have 1gb installed which is 512mbx2, I know system will hold more I think up to 3GB so i would like to install 1GBx2 to fill the 2 vacant slots. I found memory on line at newegg but not sure about the PC2 part. Another question I have is I just installed a new graphis card to be able to run comp to my tv works fine but now I cant hear sound from my comp speakers, some how it removed my realtek hd audio how can I get back?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
6400 is the speed the memory operates...use the speed your system requires or faster...and you'll be fine. Sometimes the faster stuff is cheaper as well.

Dunno about the audio..unless the card you installed also has audio? Normally if you install an audio or multimedia card..your onboard audio will be disabled.

Old 02-04-10, 03:47 PM
Your computer might be able to handle both type (PC4200 and PC6400) because they're both of type DDR2; however, the ram will only operate up to the speed the motherboard supports. So it doesn't make sense to buy until you know. Plus you might have to get into over/under-clocking in the BIOS.

If you're cool with opening your case, you should get a flashlight, open the case, and find the model of the motherboard (usually the big lettering stamped into it). Then google your_motherboard_model +specs and you can find info on what RAM type/speed is supported.

Do a search for 'PC4200' @ newegg and you'll get a listing of several types of 1GB PC4200 memory. You can also check out PriceWatch - Price Comparison Shopping - Valentines Day Tech Gifts, Computers and a lot more, which will link you to many online outlets with what you need... but newegg is good.

Regarding your sound, hopefully someone will come up with a solution. Perhaps your graphics card took whatever irq your on-board sound was using. Try googleing something like "irq conflict realtek graphics card". Sorry I don't have an answer.

Old 02-11-10, 07:13 AM
Went through the site you said then to another call 1st choice memory it told me what my comp could run got a 2GB kit from NEWEGG of WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048K for 39 bucks installed it an work great still struggling with sound. Can a system support to sound cards at same time?

Old 02-11-10, 06:04 PM
Not knowing what your exact hp model is I would say you probably don't have a sound card, the audio is built into the mother board. Is your volume control still showing in the taskbar? If so double click it to see if something might be muted. If its not there you can go into device manager to see if something has happened to the device by clicking start, right click computer. On the upper left side you will see device manager. Click on it and the click on audio devices. If there is a yellow yield looking sign on it something has probably happened to the drivers. If you double click on the audio device it will open a window with I think 3 or 4 tabs. One will say driver. You can try to update the driver from there but it might work better to do it from the hp driver down loads site. You might try updating the driver regardless of what is shown in device manager.

Old 02-12-10, 07:07 AM
I have a hp pavilion a1748x, the volume control is showing, it says my ATI HDMI output is on. So when i send something to my tv it has sound. but i still cant get any sound at my regular monitor, the tv is for watching movies directly from comp, spend most of time at monitor. When i right click volume control to view playback devives it only shows the HDMI. When i go into device manager I dont see word audio only sounds it only lists the ATI audio device.

Old 02-12-10, 07:26 PM
MS HD Audio

is the microsoft high definition audio driver installed?

it is always installed before the audio driver from realtek or others, the ATI may have deleted it on install of it's drivers

your system will hold 4 Gb total

also what did you do with the integrated video? did you disable that when you installed the ATI video card?

some specs on your system

# NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
# Data bus speed 1000.0 MHz
# RAM
# Installed Size 1.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
# Technology DDR2 SDRAM
# Memory Specification Compliance PC2-4200
# Form Factor DIMM 240-pin

# Processor
# Type AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ / 2.0 GHz
# Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
# 64-bit Computing Yes

Old 02-13-10, 08:27 AM
Iam not sure about either question you asked I looked in my device manager, an go under system devices I see a high defintion audio controller when I click on it, says working properly. I tried to update an it says it is up to date. I dont know here to look for the integrated video or to see if i diabled it when I installed video card. About the ram so i can remove the orignial sticks an add another 2GB?

Old 02-13-10, 09:17 AM
you are correct

yes, you can remove original ram and add 2 more 1 gb sticks

as for onboard video, check the device manager and see if got one or 2 video cards running, sometime you disable onboard video inside the BIOS for built in video, audio, LAN

Old 02-15-10, 06:42 AM
Under sound, video an game controllers it only list the ATI device. Same with the display adapters if that matter.