Need a new lap top what to buy?

Old 02-08-10, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a new lap top what to buy?

My old lap top is so slow that I don't want to use it any more. With only 512 MB of RAM it takes much to long to even turn on. My question is what would be a good make and model to look at. I use it mainly for the internet but I don't want a netbook. I'm waiting for a Consumers Report annual buying guide but in the meantime I want to get started shopping. I'm looking to spend about $700 or less. It needs to have at least a CD burner and I see that some don't have that option. I just found ths at Office Depot and with Ebates it would be another 2% less.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...SNKE:13ddq0uth

Last edited by mgmine; 02-08-10 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 03:58 PM
I'm a writer and have 4 kids (3 of which are reaching preteeny status rather quick... This is the reason why I went to net books. I purchased one for a quick jaunt down to a client to cover an event and I fell in love with it. I ended up buying 4 for the family. Wife and kids.

they do not have any drives so anything you need to install would either need to be downloaded via the web (which i haven't found any product where I can't download via the web) or you can purchase a peripheral.

Now that my sales pitch is over , I have always had a laptop. I have never had a desk top, nor have I ever owned an apple.

I usually purchase laptops in bulk, for my sales guys and writers via dell, but I recently found some nice 15" toshibas at best buy for like $550. they have everything you need.

I never liked buying electronics off of ebay or auction sites cause you just never know what you are going to get. I have zero experience buying them from office supply stores as well. I bought the netbooks from Best buy. 3 Dell and 1 HP (that's all they had left).

My guess is that you should be able to find something at the big boxes for cheap. If you like small but don't want net book small, HP has a really nice 12" laptop that goes for about $700 and sports a standard sized keyboard.

Good Luck!

Old 02-08-10, 05:39 PM
I had a Toshiba and really liked it except for one thing. The case was very flimsy and cracked in three different places to the point that it was unusable. They may have upgraded the cases since I got my Toshiba 3 years ago. I got a new Asus last week and so far so good but it is taking a bit to get used to Windows 7 64 bit and some of the compatibility issues with the programs that I use. One suggestion is to go to a website called dealnews.com. They search the web for the best prices from reputable websites. I wouldn't buy a computer off ebay.

Old 02-08-10, 07:16 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
You might be able to double that RAM for fifty bucks or less and that might make all the difference in the world.

Then there is also the possibility of a used computer. The one I am using right now (HP nc8000) came with a 6 month warranty, XP professional (with disc) and a good battery for about $400. It has a DVD read, CD read/write and also a 3-1/2 inch floppy and a SD card reader. I've been completely happy with it.

Old 02-11-10, 05:52 PM
Stick with either HP or Dell. Go on CNET.com and look through their reviews and find which computer meets your needs. For general use such as music and internet you should be able to get one for less than $500.

Old 02-12-10, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
We use IBMs in the office and I picked up the same laptop I use at work for less than $400 on the used computer section of IBM's website

Old 02-12-10, 07:14 PM
700 buys you a lot

the reason you might not see some with a CD burner minimum is that those are phased out, most laptops have DVD burners ( which can burn CDs ) and some have blue ray capable reader, but burn DVD and CDs as well

for 700 you can get a lot of laptop since prices have come way down

figure at least 2 - 4 gb of mem
1 gb of vid mem
250 to 350 Gb of hard drive space
a fast cpu
wifi g to n
maybe even blue tooth
a built in webcam
2 to 4 usb 2.0 ports
maybe hdmi out port
built in card reader
and window 7 for that price

compared to my 3 year old toshiba satellite
which only has 2 gb, 250 gb worth of hard drives ( 2 of them for the total of 250 gb ), windows vista ( i dumped it n favor of XP )
intel centrino ( dual core, energy mangemtn chipset )
2 gb vid mem for the price of 1300 and you see how much price has come down in terms of features vs performance

also expect it to come pre loaded with some software than can be uninstalled to speed up the system

Old 02-12-10, 08:19 PM
Just purchased an HP

Just purchased an HP Pavilion DV6-1350 for $599 heres the specs

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 CPU
4 gigs DDR3 ram max out at 8 gigs
320 Gig HD
1gb video
15.6" screen
12 cell battery
DVD burner with lightscribe
windows 7 home premium
built in webcam
built in wifi and bluetooth

Old 02-12-10, 11:19 PM
I would ask myself these questions when considering a new laptop:
How big of a screen do I need? 12, 14 or 17 inches ?
Weight? If you need it under 5 to 6 lbs, that'll limit choices.

You'll want an extra battery and a good bag. Kensington makes some good bags. Figure $70 to $100 for both. This may reduce the budget.

As for reliability by brand, SquareTrade analyzed failure rates for over 30,000 new laptop computers covered by SquareTrade Laptop Warranty plans and found that one-third of all laptops will fail within 3 years. SquareTrade also found that netbooks are 20% more unreliable than other laptops. In terms of brands, ASUS & Toshiba stood out as the most reliable manufacturers; while Acer, Gateway & HP had failure rates significantly higher than the average.

Any particular reason as to a CD burner rather than a DVD burner?

References:
laptop-reliability-1109 | SquareTrade Warranties

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf

Old 02-13-10, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the information. It looks like the Toshiba on sale at Office Depot is the way to go. It has all the features and a 17" screen for under $600 delivered and also has the second lowest failure rate. BTW I meant to say DVD burner not CD.