malware/virus damage

Old 02-10-10, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
malware/virus damage

Hi All,

I have a problem with my sister's Acer Aspire 3620 laptop.
She 'acquired' a virus or malware that was blocking her access to the internet.
I offered to help and to upgrade her laptop to a larger hard drive at the same time.
The problem is that she had never burned restore disks when she bought the laptop initially and the virus seems to have damaged her restore files because I get a 'setbootini' error message when I try doing a restore from a disk I burned after I received the infected laptop.

Is there a way to fix that error or am I going to have to do it the hard way by purchasing a restore disk from ACER for an exorbitant price or maybe downloading the necessary files and then trying to figure out which ones I need and how to install them?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here are the steps I went through to eradicate a virus my sister got on her computer 2 nights ago:

1. Reboot your computer (you may have to press the power button on the front of the CPU case) and as soon as it beeps, start clicking the F8 key.
If you get a keyboard error, press F1 or whatever to continue and immediately continue to click the F8.

2. Use your up-arrow key and navigate to the line which says "Safe Mode". Press "Enter" or "Return" on your keyboard. If you get a login selector screen, click on Administrator or any name which has administrator privileges and enter the correct password if required. After entering the password, click the right-arrow or press "Enter".

3. When the window pops up about safe mode, click "OK".

4. Open "My Computer" and navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\.

5. Start at the top of the list of folders. Click the plus beside the first folder and click the plus beside "Application Data".

6. Look for a folder with an alphanumeric name (something like 59fc3gr or 76ga39f - can't remember the exact name). If you don't see it, you need to enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in "Control Panel" - "Folder Options" - View. If you still don't see it, go to the next folder under Documents and Settings and repeat.

7. Single-click that funny-named folder and delete it. You will get a window asking if you wish to send it to the recycle bin. Click "Yes".

8. Open the folder beneath THAT "Application Data" marked "Cookies".
Press and hold "Control" (may be marked "Ctrl") and press and release "a". Release the "Control" key. That will hi-lite all the files in the directory. Press the "Delete" key and answer "Yes" to move all files to the recycle bin. You will probably get an error message about "index.dat". Click "OK".

9. Close "My Computer".

10. Click "Start Menu", "Run...", and type "regedit" without the quotes in the filename box. Click the "OK" button.

11. When REGEDIT opens, click the plus beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, scroll down and click the plus beside SOFTWARE, scroll down and click the plus beside MICROSOFT, scroll down and click the plus beside WINDOWS, scroll down and click the plus beside CURRENTVERSION, and scroll down and click the plus beside RUN.

12. In the list in the right pane, there will be an entry with some kind of oddball bogus antivirus name which you didn't install. Single click this name to highlight it and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard (it might be marked "Del" on some keyboards). A pop-up will appear asking if you are sure you wish to delete this key. Click "Yes".

13. Close REGEDIT and reboot your computer.

14. After Windows has restarted in normal mode, right-click the bogus antivirus button on your Quick Launch toolbar, (if you have the toolbar showing, it will most likely be the bar directly to the right of the "Start" button) and press "Delete" or click on "Delete" in the menu which appears. Answer "Yes" the the question about sending this item to the recycle bin.

15. Hopefully, that's the end of this one for us...

16. Carefully consider setting up a limited account in "Control Panel\User Accounts" for the purpose of Internet surfing, and never again surf the 'net from an "Administrator" account.