Adding A Second Hard Drive

Old 02-18-10, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Adding A Second Hard Drive

Dell 8200 XP Home SP3

Manual explains about moving the drives to different bays, which cable goes where, set it on 'cable select' and all that.

I'm wondering what I have to do to the drive to access it. Do I format it first like a floppy? Will it just show up?

One more: will the slave drive power up all the time when the machine is on or only when I access it? I can't see it running all the time when I plan to just use it for storage.

Thanks

If anyone needs a couple 3/16 hard drive screws I have a hundred of them. Price you pay when you live in the boonies, having to order it on the internet.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-10, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
First, when to connect the new drive to the MoBo it should show up on POST. You should also see it in the BIOS. If it all shows up there I believe it will show up in "My Computer" (double click) You may have to format the drive but this should be able to be done in windows.

When you start your system all drives will spin up. You can check your power settings (right click desktop>properties>Screen saver tab>power button) and set it so your drives shut down after a length of time. If the drive is down, there will be a slight delay when you do access it because the drive will have to spin up.

Old 02-18-10, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
And Baldwin..if you don't feel like messing around inside...just buy a USB drive kit. Bout $20 or so on sale...just turn it on when you need to access the drive.

Old 02-18-10, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer Management

If you go to the Start menu and right click on Computer and select manage, this will bring up the computer management program. From there you can select Disk Management under storage and format the drive and partition it for use in windows.

Old 02-19-10, 03:57 PM
I'm Lost

Installed the second hard drive and when I started it up it said 'new hardware detected' so it is connecting.

Go to 'my computer' and it isn't there.

Go to control panel>system>device manager>disk drives and I think it is there, it now shows two of them......

a)STxxxxxxx must be my Stargate original drive as (0)

b)WDxxxxxx must be the western digital I just installed as (1)

The drive did say 'unformatted' on it. How the heck do I format it when it doesn't show up in 'my computer'? Computer seems to be working fine otherwise.

Thanks

Baldwin

Old 02-19-10, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ View Post
If you go to the Start menu and right click on Computer and select manage, this will bring up the computer management program. From there you can select Disk Management under storage and format the drive and partition it for use in windows.
Follow these instructions and it will all work out for you..

Old 02-19-10, 06:19 PM
I tried that many times and I couldn't find anything for the format thing.

I went to control panel>administrative tools then something else and the drives showed up.

I'm kind of winging it but I put a 30MB partition and it is as we speak partitioning the rest, I hope.

If you don't hear back from me I did something wrong. This is an old Dell so maybe the terminology is different.

Thanks very much,

Baldwin

Old 02-19-10, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you have things worked out but if not reboot, and recheck My Computer. It should show up there. You can then right click on the drive and click "format"

Old 02-19-10, 06:56 PM
I think I have it. I thought it was a 30GB but it looks to me like an 80GB. Bought it years ago. Is that 31MB FAT where the system is installed?

Gunguy, I have an 100GB external hard drive sitting on my desk I bought long ago, I backed up my system and that is all that's on it. I didn't even think of moving stuff there.

Thanks gents,

Baldwin

Old 02-19-10, 07:58 PM
I must have something set wrong. In 'my computer' it says capacity on the new (F) drive is only 31.3 MB.

Geezzzzz.....time to watch the Olympics.

Old 02-20-10, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
Actual drive capacity is always different than stated cap. This is due to a GB = 1000MB but a True GB is 1028MB

Old 02-20-10, 08:25 AM
Question

It looiks to me like it is only seeing the first partition....

I think there was an option to NOT assign a letter. Maybe reformat the first partition in FAT and assign the letter (F) to the 74GB part???

Old 02-20-10, 09:37 AM
My God, I must be dumb as a rock! Joe, you were right, just took me a while to get there.

Thanks all!!

Old 02-20-10, 11:16 AM
small partition

if you note that 31Mb is a small partition
FAT formatted too
usually those are system files that are for recovery in cash of a corrupted non booting system
usually they are FAT32 formatted, active, hidden and bootable
so by default it boots up for recovery