Add/Remove Programs

Old 02-21-10, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Add/Remove Programs

Sorry, another stupid question.

I copied a huge game (MS Train Simulator 7.7 GB) to my second hard drive.

Question: if I go to add/remove programs and select 'remove' will it erase it from both drives or just the original on 'C'?

I was tempted to hit remove and see if it gave the option, C or F, but I didn't dare.

Thanks

Baldwin

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-10, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do not fully understand the question from the information you gave.

When you use add/remove it will remove what was installed on the machine. This is controlled by the software that was installed.

I guess you did one of two things, you copied the install files from c to f, or you copied the installed files from c to f.

Either way, the add/remove will only remove the installed files in the drive/directory you originally installed the software on. I think if you moved the installed files the add/remove will most likely end in error.

Registry entries may be removed as well so even if you moved all of the files safely, the add/remove could still mess up how the software can run.

If you hit the remove button, prepare to re-install the software but I can't tell you if it will break the game or not without you trying.

Old 02-21-10, 09:32 PM
Yeah, this is an adventure for me.

I went to C > program files > Games > Train Simulator then clicked on move to 'F'.

It moved fine. Going to the F drive and clicking on it the game started right up. I'm just not sure what will happen when I remove the origional.

I guess I'll try it and see what happens. Whole lot of stuff to replace though if it doesn't work. That's why I asked.

Thanks

Old 02-21-10, 09:45 PM
Registry entries may be removed as well so even if you moved all of the files safely, the add/remove could still mess up how the software can run.
Okay, I think I see what you mean there. I copied the routes, trains etc to F but what makes it run will no longer be in the registry. I think.

This stuff makes my brain hurt!

Thanks

Old 02-21-10, 09:49 PM
How about if I just go to the program files and delete the game? Would that work and still leave the stuff in the registry? I just want to free up space on my C drive.