Need help with a linksys router?

Old 03-03-10, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with a linksys router?

Iam having trouble with my Linksys router BEF11S4, it seems that ever morning I need to turn power off an on to be able to connect to internet. Not understanding why, I was trying to understand their website, didn't really understand what they were talking about. It also is a wireless router I want to make it secure so daughters have to connect laptops with a pass word each time. Any help is welcome

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-10, 07:44 PM
wgc
Can it breathe?

Originally Posted by stic View Post
Iam having trouble with my Linksys router BEF11S4, it seems that ever morning I need to turn power off an on to be able to connect to internet.
Can it breathe? I had one like that where it turned out it was overheating. Getting it out in the open made all the difference.

It could also be some sort of problem with PPP or DHCP, but we'd need a lot more info about what you're doing and a lot more time.

Old 03-04-10, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 36 Posts
You can try changing some of the settings (which is not that easy if you don't know what you're doing) or maybe think about getting a new N router. My old Linsys router was always giving me problems and I had to constantly change settings and reset the darn thing, until I finally gave in and bought the new one. Plus it's very secure. Haven't had any problems since.

Old 03-04-10, 05:43 PM
Some things you can try here.
  1. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  2. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Old 03-05-10, 06:24 AM
I was msessing with some of the setting now I dont have to reset it in the morning. I disabled the ssid broadcast and change network access to only allow to only accept daughters laptops, so far so good. As far as questions you guys asked me yes it can breathe its located in basement on an open shelf with the cable modem, I updated firmware about 2-3 weeks ago, it may be time to replace if it keeps giving me problems its probably 8 yrs old. I tried to call cable company when i was first having problems they said" They can't help me with it cause its not theirs.", when I had dsl an called with a problem they would talk me through both the modem an the linksys router with no problem. So now I can tell who has a better tech dept!