replacing power supply cooling fan?

Old 03-20-10, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing power supply cooling fan?

my computer has begun suddenly shutting off. It is Hp pavilion 750n purchased in about 2001, but has been steadily upgraded so I want to keep it running. it does it intermittantly-sometimes will go days even up to a week without problem. When it goes off, the green light on front power button stays on and I have to pull the power cord out of power supply and plug it back in, then hit power button to restart it. boots fine and runs fine. I have noticed that the fan in back (one inside power supply) doesn't seem to run ever. So I am thinking it may be overheating issue. I tried to install some program -motherboard monitor 5-to monitor temps but it wouldn't work. I took the side cover off and the adapter that directs air from mother board out the back and since then the shuts off have been less frequent. so does it sound like overheating issue and if so, can I replace just the fan inside the power supply.. it is bestec ATX-1956D rev. B1. I can send pics if wanted. you can see the fan and the wires are right in back. Looks like if I take power supply out, there are about 6 screws to take the back cover off the power supply and fan would be right there.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-10, 12:49 AM
It does sound as though it's your power supply. I can direct on how to replace the PSU (power supply unit) fan, but it would be more beneficial to just replace the PSU because there are 1. hazardous voltages inside the PUS, and 2. once they start over heating and shutting the system down, it's just a matter or time before the PSU gives out altogether. Usually you can pick them up at one of the big box computer stores. I recommend at least a 300 watt PSU, especially since you've slowly upgraded the computer over the years that you've had it.

Old 03-21-10, 08:25 AM
so here is PSU

Bestec ATX-1956D REV: B2 Power supply. HP Part No 0950-4106, ATX1956D, Hipro HP-A2027F3

this is updated I guess since it is rev. B2. but all the numbers match up. it is 200 watt just as the one in the computer. let me tell you what I have done to computer.

1. upgraded RAM from 500MB to 1GB
2. upgraded the CD+/- R/RW to a DVD +/- R/RW
3. added USB 2.0 card
4. replaced existing 160GB hard drive with a 200GB hard drive and then added a second 150GB hard drive
5. have a Hauppauge WinTV USB 2.0 PVR (tv tuner)
6. scanner
7. printer

It is only pentium 4 1.6GHz so slow compared to new ones but it does what I need it to do. so you think I need a different power supply than the 200W that came with computer? although I have made a lot of changes, wasn't sure what the effects were on power other than powering a second hard drive? the replacement PSU above is cheap at like $28. can you point me to what you would suggest I get to replace this?

Old 03-21-10, 10:37 AM
That PSU should cover it then. I thought maybe it had a faster processor. But yes that PSU will be fine.