With all the gigarams, why does computer load up so slow when turned on?

Old 04-15-10, 07:14 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With all the gigarams, why does computer load up so slow when turned on?

Seriously.

When you turn on a computer and it can do all these calculations a second - what chain of protocol is followed that takes it several minutes to get to the point my browzer gets on the screen?

Like, where is all the electricity going to to get that stuff to come on the screen? Is it going halfway around the world and back to all kinds of network hookups, or what?

But even so, if there are billions of calculations going on per second, and the signal say is almost going the speed of light -why is it taking so long?

Old 04-15-10, 08:57 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Computer Start Up

When a computer is turned on, thousands of files have to be found on the hard drive and opened. This process is not lightning fast. If you want fewer programs running at start-up, you have to figure out how to remove them from the start-up sequence.

Old 04-15-10, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And if the hard drive in the PC hasn't been optimized (most used files grouped where they can be found quickest, basically)...it has to hunt all over the platters looking for all those bits and bytes it needs. And older drives are much slower than newer ones as a rule.

Thats why you have so much disc activity at start up...but in normal use it may b e very little if you have plenty of memory installed.

Old 04-15-10, 04:03 PM
Hi ecman51`,

The start up time is not related with calculation or files opened or the disc optimization, but with the number of programs / processes starting up
Examples are Communication modules (fax, internet, etc), Adobe, printer settings, image management & media watchers, etc

You can control these programs very easily

Click Start → Run → In the Open box type msconfig and then click on OK or press Enter → Go to the Startup tab--> check the number / type of programs you computer is setting when you start up the computer--> --> just delete the ones you don't need at the start up
I did this and I reduced the time by half!!

Last edited by pmgca; 04-15-10 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 04:25 PM
E
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
When a computer is turned on, thousands of files have to be found on the hard drive and opened. This process is not lightning fast. If you want fewer programs running at start-up, you have to figure out how to remove them from the start-up sequence.
Ahhhh. I SEE.***********************

Old 04-15-10, 04:29 PM
E
Originally Posted by pmgca View Post
Hi ecman51`,

The start up time is not related with calculation or files opened or the disc optimization, but with the number of programs / processes starting up
Examples are Communication modules (fax, internet, etc), Adobe, printer settings, image management & media watchers, etc

Click Start → Run → In the Open box type msconfig and then click on OK or press Enter → Go to the Startup tab--> check the number / type of programs you computer is setting when you start up the computer--> --> just delete the ones you don't need at the start up
I did this and I reduces the time by half!!
Hmmmmmm. And I presume that you can retrieve at any time what you decide to sometimes leave off? We'll have to try that!

Old 04-15-10, 04:36 PM
E
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
And if the hard drive in the PC hasn't been optimized (most used files grouped where they can be found quickest, basically)...it has to hunt all over the platters looking for all those bits and bytes it needs. And older drives are much slower than newer ones as a rule.

Thats why you have so much disc activity at start up...but in normal use it may b e very little if you have plenty of memory installed.
I happened to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory the other day. Remember when that kid went inside that deatomization machine and he went into 'a million pieces' and floated across the room(as colorful atoms or molecules) and then became whole again inside another machine, only teeeny-sized? Your post made me think of that movie part.

Old 04-16-10, 04:27 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
just delete the ones you don't need at the start up
Or uncheck them ...

Much of that stuff isn't necessary. Partial loading of programs at startup allows the programs to launch faster when you double-click on them. It's a convenience.

I've found the biggest culprit for slow boots to be the anti-virus. Most security apps want to run scans and check for updates before they allow the machine to be ready for use.

As a test, unplug your ethernet from the machine. Turn off everything and anything related to security in the Startup folder and the Startup section of msconfig. Reboot and see if it's faster.

Remember to turn that stuff back on before you reconnect the ethernet.

Old 04-16-10, 04:30 PM
E
Rick,

I had a more computer literate person supposedly do what you suggested, some hours ago, and for the fun of it, I turned off the computer and monitor, got out my stop watch, booted it back up, and up until the browzer came up with the DIY on it, it took about 4 minutes flat. (You ever sit and wait for 4 minutes for something? It seems to never get there.) The other day I timed it at only 3-something.

I will call the person up to see if they explicitely followed your instructions.

How fast does yours load up, from the machines being off, to the time you can click on DIY?

Old 04-16-10, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
IF your using XP or better I suggest instead of shutting down put your system in hibernation. Go to shut down, and select hibernate. (you may have to hold down shift key) You system will write a file of the contents of your RAM on the HD and then turn off. when you restart it reads that info and reloads it back to the RAM and your up and running. I think from button to browser is about 30 secs for me.

Full reboot is about 2 mins I think. But I have never timed it.

Old 04-16-10, 05:50 PM
E
Thanks. We will look into that also. I will let you know.

From WHAT button to browzer, takes 30 seconds?

Old 04-16-10, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Thanks. We will look into that also. I will let you know.

From WHAT button to browzer, takes 30 seconds?
The button to turn on the computer!

Old 04-16-10, 09:51 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Don't forget to periodically do a disk cleanup and defrag on the hard drive. Even if the computer analysis says drafrag is not necessary do it anyway. I do it about once a month and it does help to minimize the start-up time.

Old 04-17-10, 05:35 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
How fast does yours load up, from the machines being off, to the time you can click on DIY?
58 seconds from power switch to desktop, and another 17 seconds for the network to connect. This is my 1-yr old machine, running XP and Avast.

The other machine in this room is c. 2003 running XP and Kaspersky. It took about 2 minutes to the desktop and another 2 minutes to allow Firefox to launch.

My company laptop takes almost fifteen minutes to be ready thanks to the corporate version of Norton. It does a full disk scan every time it's booted. Our IT department doesn't seem to think it is out of the ordinary.

The other laptop takes around 40 seconds. It has no anti-virus and minimal drivers and apps. I use it only for location audio recording.

Old 05-01-10, 02:59 PM
E
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Don't forget to periodically do a disk cleanup and defrag on the hard drive. Even if the computer analysis says drafrag is not necessary do it anyway. I do it about once a month and it does help to minimize the start-up time.
Sure is good to be back!

The computer is defragged about once a week.

The E-machines puter started to shut off late late last week/early this week. Fan motor shutting off and monitor shutting down. I opened it up to inspect for any obvious. Also tested and replacd lithium button battery (didn't help), vacuumed vents and tankless compressor blew out, and nonhe of this did any good.

Took it into shop where it has been in til this afternoon )(yes, they work Saturdays, hooray), and initial diagnosis was heat sik was bad. Then they changed their tune to say motherboard problem. Opted out of E-Machines(free diagnostics, because we were new customers!!) and bought from him a recon IBM tower, and Dell monitor, and new kit that included fancy black keyboard (with hyroglyphic symbol thingies in 2 rows across the top ??), and and an optical mouse and 2 speakers...all for $130!, only. Then paid another $45 to transfer data and documents, etc.

This thing is really fast now.

Old 05-01-10, 03:03 PM
E
Rick, after I get used to this thing and concentrate on a timed start up, and to get here to DIY, I will let you know.

Old 05-02-10, 11:42 AM
E
Timed test

Rick, it took about 2 minutes flat from power off to clicking on DIY. But what I really like now is how much faster I can navigate around DIY. A huge difference compared to before.

Old 05-02-10, 04:03 PM
N
Question

Hi ecman51`,

I did this and I reduced the time by half!!
? how do you know whitch programs you 'need' on startup?

Old 05-03-10, 06:36 AM
E
I got on this morning from a completely off computer to DIY way faster than 2 minutes, by clicking a pop-up, off. And it was just pointed out to me to try to click on IE along the bottom bar instead of on the desktop. I'm very pleasd how fast this thing goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: