Laptop mouse pad not working

Old 04-15-10, 03:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laptop mouse pad not working

My daughters laptop, emachine E627-5279, all of a sudden stopped working, she says. Tried to restart, nothing, plugged a mouse into usb port works that way. Any ideas why touch pad would stop working?

Old 04-16-10, 07:22 AM
M
Check in Device Manager. It may have been disabled somehow.

Old 04-17-10, 06:47 AM
S
I checked that it says its working properly, I tried to disable an reable an still doesn't work.

Old 04-19-10, 02:54 AM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
do the mouse buttons work at all? did she use an external mouse at all sometimes this disables the pad , if so uninstall that

Old 04-19-10, 06:38 AM
Boot into BIOS and set to defaults and post back results!!

jay

Originally Posted by stic View Post
My daughters laptop, emachine E627-5279, all of a sudden stopped working, she says. Tried to restart, nothing, plugged a mouse into usb port works that way. Any ideas why touch pad would stop working?

Old 04-24-10, 07:12 AM
S
Sorry so long to post back, I dont know what to do when booting in bios. I may of done it just not sure, I loaded defaults, no change. She never used any other type of mouse except touch pad when I go into device manager it says touch pad working properly. When I unplug the usb mouse its out of device manager then.

Old 04-24-10, 08:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 121 Posts
I've been having a similar issue with a Dell Latitude D500 running XP SP3. Recently it started "losing" the Alps touchpad.

The only thing that I can find that jibes with this are the following entries in the event viewer (look in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer - System)

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 4/23/2010
Time: 3:38:08 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GATORFIRELAPTOP
Description:
The WinRT Toolkit Generic Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
And this one.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 4/23/2010
Time: 3:38:08 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GATORFIRELAPTOP
Description:
The HardLock service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
What the heck this has to do with the touchpad, I have no idea, but the timing always jibes with my touchpad vanishing.

I've found basically zero real info on either file. They are not listed in my services listings. Hardlock, I know is used by some software vendors as a copy protect (it requires the CD to be present, in some cases) or for a usb dongle. I do have one game that uses that scheme, and I do own and use the factory disc for it.

Searches for WinRT only get me references to it being an old school device driver setup.

Nothing new was installed, but it did start shortly after a windows update. So far scans with ESET NOD 32 and things like Spybot have turned up nothing.

In my case, it's essentially random. I can go days without this popping up, then it does it for hours at a shot. Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes not.

If anyone has heard of anything, I'd love to know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: