Is my PC running hot?

Old 04-15-10, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my PC running hot?

PC had been freezing/locking up I discovered the power supply fan was dead, so i replaced it. Freezing/locking up is less but stilll happening.

Before I buy PC cooling fan, thought I would post my temps to see if my pc is stlll running hot.

CPU TEMP:

41 celsius
105 farenheit

CPU Fan speed 2261 rpm

other fan speed 1310 RPM

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-10, 03:49 AM
Before analyzing cpu temps and fan rpms, May I recommend opening up the computer and with a can of "cleaning air" and a very gentle brush, give the inside a thorough yet gentle cleaning, IE, any cooling fans , and especially the heat sink on top of the main processor chip. I clean mine about every couple of months, no-one in the house smokes, yet it's amazing how much dust etc. collects on the inside...

Good luck and have a great day

Old 04-18-10, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Stumped1 View Post
PC had been freezing/locking up I discovered the power supply fan was dead, so i replaced it. Freezing/locking up is less but stilll happening.

Before I buy PC cooling fan, thought I would post my temps to see if my pc is stlll running hot.

CPU TEMP:

41 celsius
105 farenheit

CPU Fan speed 2261 rpm

other fan speed 1310 RPM
Stumped - A couple of questions. Did you replace the entire power supply or just the fan? When does the freezing/locking occur? When you only play games or if the computer is just sitting there?

I can't comment on the CPU temps as I don't know what kind it is. (Intel, AMD...?) Also, how big of the "other" fan(s) do you have ? 80-90mm are common. A 120 mm will spin less, but move more air due to it's size. Be quieter as well. Flip side is the case has to be able to hold it.

You may want to look at a program called MBM monitor. There may be BIOS settings to shut your computer down if it gets too hot.

Echo cleaning the PC out with the compressed air. FYI, the case design used to be (and most still are) air entered in the front bottom of the case and exited out the top rear. Basically, one vacuumed the floor with one's PC. I don't understand that logic either.

HTH!

Old 04-18-10, 10:03 PM
Replaced the power supply and fan, 500 watt power supply.

PC is a HP M7100E media center pC with AMD Athlon 64 processor. 2 GB Ram

Has started freezing again at startup, and is very slow to launch internet and other applicatons at startup, taking as long as 10 minutes to get going.

Last edited by Stumped1; 04-18-10 at 10:04 PM. Reason: correction