Cd burner not showing up as a recording option

Old 04-19-10, 09:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cd burner not showing up as a recording option

Hi All,

I have a problem with my Dell Optiplex 170L desktop PC.
It has installed in it both a CD Burner and a DVD Rom drive. I also have an External DVD Burner.
The problem is that when I create a file which I need burnt to disk, the only drive that shows up as a recording option is the External burner. Neither of the 2 internal drives shows up as recording options. However, if I need to do a disk copy, then all 3 drives will show up as read options but only the external one will show up as a recording option. This happens with Roxio as well as Nero. So basically, without the external drive, I can't do any recording!

Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Thanks.

Old 04-20-10, 04:39 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are the proper drivers installed for the CD burner?

Old 04-20-10, 08:16 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to assume so.
They were automatically installed when I loaded XP. I tried to update them last night when I went into 'hardware profile' but XP stayed with what was already there.
What is weird for me is that the external burner is USB and I did not have to do a special driver upload to get it running, but it is recognized anyway - both for reading and for burning, unlike the internal CD burner and the DVD rom drives, which are being recognized only for reading.
Nero was a fresh install - I did it last night when Roxio wasn't cooperating. However, both programs run into the same problem, so that makes me think it's system related.
BTW, this all happened when I was trying to download copies of Spybot, Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware for my neighbour who is having spyware problems which blocked his internet access.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: