PC stuck in startup loop!

Old 04-20-10, 07:06 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PC stuck in startup loop!

HP M7100 E media center PC, windows XP, service pack 3. Recently added a video driver and a new power supply.

PC started beeping last night, sounded like a type of warning alarm. I turned it off and changed the battery, not sure why I thought this would help.

Now it is stuck in a loop where it will begin to go to the login screen and restart itself before I can login.

It goes to the XP startup screen, then quickly flashes a blue warning about shutting down to prevent further damage and restarts itself.

I tried going into the recovey mode and it flashes the same warning and just sits there.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-21-10, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure of the problem, but as it begins the boot, try pressing the F2 key repeatedly until you enter bios and check it out for boot errors. You can temporarily change the boot sequence from D to C until you are able to enter safe mode or recovery.

Old 04-21-10, 01:47 PM
S
I did some online research and apparently there is a bad Microsoft security update causing Windows XP Pro users to have this problem.

I will try your suggestion, because all the solutions I have read about the fix require me to be able to get into safemode or recovery.

Thanks.

Old 04-21-10, 02:05 PM
O
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Old 04-21-10, 02:40 PM
T
Old 04-21-10, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
The beeping could be an over temp alarm. Make sure your system is clean and all your fans are running.

Old 04-22-10, 04:14 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Old 04-22-10, 07:35 AM
S
I dont' have McAfee, but this gives me hope that this is indeed a corrupt Windows update. I will get in touch with Microsoft support.

Thanks for the tip on the beeping, the PC does seem to run hot even with all the fans working.

Is there a beefed up fan out there I can buy?

Old 04-23-10, 07:07 AM
S
PC is up and running again. While I was troubleshooting the issue, I had removed the video card to make sure it wasn't the driver causing the problem.

I decided to put it back in and while putting it back in I noticed the card that runs the fax/telephone socket had come loose. I probably knocked it loose removing the video card.

Reseated the card and now it's back up.

Still extremely slow at startup and still sits for 10 minutes at logoff, but at least it's working.

Thanks for the assistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: