new pc

Old 05-01-10, 01:15 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
new pc

Hello
I am going to buy a new pc.
At first I was thinking of getting a laptop and loading it with 'stuff' so I would have a good macihine lplus portability.
Then I thought a desktop would give me more for the money.
I can only go as high as $1500.
Will this buy a decent machine?
Any suggestions as to what kind I should steer towards for durability and integrity?
Hopefuls;
Firewire, Win 7 premier, processor like i5 or core 2 quad, speed 2.8, camera and mic, dvd burner and 2nd bay to copy to, reinstall + driver discs.
Thank you

Old 05-01-10, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 134 Posts
$1,500 is more than enough to buy a decent machine. I just bought a new 2nd computer a couple months ago, which is actually better than my main computer. Has an i5 processor, 8gig ram, win7 (plus the discs), 22" monitor from Dell, with free shipping, all for $930. To add a 2nd DVD would have added an extra $30. Didn't get a camera or mic, but it still would have been under $1,500.

Old 05-01-10, 02:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A desktop will almost always give you more for your money. In order to match the speeds of a desktop, the price of a laptop will go up considerably. I have found that desktops last longer than laptops. We have a desktop that we bought in 2003 and it still runs well. I've been through three laptops in the same time.

Old 05-01-10, 02:26 PM
P
new pc

I see that you like Dell.
I guess when you call in, they can build the pc you want and that is the course I will probably take.
I like to have the store I buy from near me so I will take a look at what Micro Center has.
Thanx for your comments.

Old 05-01-10, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
My main computer is an HP, which I got at BestBuy maybe a year and a half ago. It's a quad-core with 6gig ram and a 22" monitor, and I think I paid about $1,200 for it. Their web prices are always lower than their store prices.
I used to buy at Micro Center years ago, but I don't find them to have the best deals.

Old 05-01-10, 07:26 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For $1500 bucks you can build your own PC that will blow anything away that Dell could give you at that price. It is amazingly simple to build a PC...it's just the fear of the unknown that prevent people from doing it. I can barely change a lightbulb and a hammer in my hand is a useless as a rubber crutch... but I did a little research and can easily build a computer. The systems from Dell and other companies are highly inflated along with tech support that you can't understand what they say when they are talking to you. Check out Maximum PC online. Not long ago they posted a $1500 rig and all the components to make it, along with a step by step tutorial....

Old 05-02-10, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
I resent you suggesting I don't know what I'm buying. I have built a pc in the past and without the step-by-step tutorial. I know all about hardware and what I need and what I want. Not everyone wants to go thru all the extra work and not everyone needs a super gaming pc.
I knew what I wanted and I kept checking the ads and when a good deal came along, I took advantage of it.
I've never had to call tech support because I know how to fix my own computer, so if someone doesn't know how, then who will they call if they run into problems building their own?
Your suggestion doesn't work for everyone and you certainly can buy a decent computer from these companies as long as one does their homework.
Beer 4U2

Old 05-02-10, 10:32 AM
P
new pc

I hope everyone is ok with this discussion and remaining friendly.
People are much more important than things.
I appreciate the information you all have rendered and am still doing some research.
Btw, the reason I need a new pc is that I have some hardware that is calling for the upgrade. One example is a 2T ext. drive which Windows cannot write to b/c of the size.
I have to partition the hard drive just to image my system .
So, peace and I will let you know what I come up with.

Old 05-02-10, 01:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Btw, the reason I need a new pc is that I have some hardware that is calling for the upgrade. One example is a 2T ext. drive which Windows cannot write to b/c of the size.
I have to partition the hard drive just to image my system .
Have you researched using Linux instead of Windows on the computer. Most versions are free and many are as easy to use or easier then Windows. Even if it didn't work you would be out no money. What size hard drive do you have?

Old 05-03-10, 05:33 AM
P
linux and size

Hello
I have not tried Linux.

My hard drive is 40GB. The pc is over 8 yeras old.

The external drive is new and is 2T.

My 1T works but the 2T says windows cannot write to it. I tried it on my 8 year old lap too. Same thing.

Old 05-03-10, 05:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
some options......

I bought my pc from tiger direct [.com] and they always seem to have competitive prices. The kids like new egg [?] I know buying a pc on the internet isn't quite the same as going to a store but the prices are better

My pc also came with a 40 gig hard drive. About 6 months ago the hard drive got corrupted and the kids installed a 120 gig used hard drive [leftover from a computer build] While I'd love to get a new pc, I like a jingle in my pocket better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: