Computer will not shut down

Old 05-04-10, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Computer will not shut down

Hello, I have a gateway comp with windows xp. We are in the habit of keeping our computer running all the time, we just let it go to sleep or hibernate (not sure) when we do not use it. A couple of months ago I attempted to shut it down well.. it wouldn't. I have been needing to do a hard shut down by holding down the power button on the tower each time I need to fix some error going on. I know this is harming the computer, as I do not do it often I seem to be having to shut it down more often to fix a problem than I would like to. I just searched for possible reasons why and tried a couple things to no avail. It will not shut down, it will not restart, but it will stand by. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Old 05-04-10, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Unplug it. Let it rest, plug it back in, restart it. Start shutting it down when not in use. Being a Gateway it probably isn't new, is it?

Old 05-04-10, 03:35 PM
nope definately not new...I will try that this evening and let it be unplugged through the night. I'll let u know.

Old 05-05-10, 07:21 AM
okay, unplugged it and left it off all night. still not shutting down. what should I try next?

Old 05-05-10, 03:15 PM
Are we talking a laptop? If so, leave it unplugged and pull the battery out from the door on the bottom?

Old 05-05-10, 05:27 PM
nope its a desktop, a good 8 yr old one at that...whole different problem with my laptop! OY! Computers!

Old 05-05-10, 05:37 PM
You removed the power to the desktop and it didn't shut down????? Do you have it hooked to a UPS? If so, remove that power as well. It HAS to shut down without power.

Old 05-05-10, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Larry...I think she/he means that after powering it back up (after being off and unplugged all night) it wouldn't shut down when told to.

lalanna...I ask this...does your keyboard have a sleep button...or are you just using the windows power save stuff?

Old 05-05-10, 10:08 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Not shutting down is often a result of some program (often running in the background) not closing. It could also be due to a corrupted file in the operating system or even a damaged sector on the hard drive.

Have you done any diagnostic tests on the OS or hard drive? Do you know what programs are running in the background?

Old 05-06-10, 03:48 AM
Vic, I was wondering how this thing ran without power. With the unit running press Ctl/Alt/Del and bring up Task manager to see what is running in the background. As Furd and Vic stated there must be a program hanging up. Gateway IIRC had a problem with the sleep mechanism. I would check your bios next.

Old 05-06-10, 08:21 AM
First of all thank you for the replies...much appreciated.

I do not believe my keyboard has a sleep button, if it does I don't know where it is , yes I have used the sleep through windows.

When I go into the task manager should I use the processes tab... on the apps tab it only shows what I have opened...Processes shows many things that look japanese to me.

My computer was powered off all night the other night and when started back up and plugged back in it would still not shut down when prompted

what am I looking for? and where do I look?

Old 05-06-10, 08:24 AM
Oh & can you explain how I check bios, and do a diagnostic check. good with computers, but not that good

Old 05-06-10, 02:29 PM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Shut Down

Are you using the "Start" icon in the lower left corner of your Desktop screen to do the shutdown?

Start
Logoff - this closes all programs
Shutdown

Old 05-06-10, 02:36 PM
just tried to do the log off first. Isn't it suppose to go to a select user screen after that? My icons blink a bit like its thinking but nothing happens, both with logoff, and shut down. I do get to the user screen when I choose standby though. But that is the only one that seems to work.

Old 05-07-10, 11:28 AM
T
How long do you leave it after telling it to shut down? I've used a PC that would take a few minutes between selecting the shutdown and it actually doing the shut down.

Old 05-07-10, 11:44 AM
well sometimes I wait about 30 seconds other times I wait a couple minutes, but I get impatient and i'll start to open up a program or get online and it never starts the process.

Old 05-10-10, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I had a Gateway 2000 desktop of 2001 vintage running Windows 98SE and it would almost always refuse to shut down in the usual manner. It would start its shutdown process, than hang up. I finally resorted to shutting it down by going to the task manager menu and manually shutting down every individual task, then usually the computer would go ahead and shut itself down at that point. It would also never go into sleep mode, although it was enabled. I ran routine disk scans, maintenance programs, and Windows updates, and nothing seemed to help. I finally got tired of its quirks and got a new computer a couple years ago.

Old 06-05-10, 04:17 PM
F
Download Quicksys RegDefrag (free download, free software, just Google search "quicksys regdefrag").

Install, then run. Try to shutdown with Start/Turn Off/Restart, if not hold the powerbutton for four (4) seconds or so.

After reboot, run the Quicksys RegDefrag again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: