esata power supply

Old 05-08-10, 12:09 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
esata power supply

Hello
I have an external hard drive 2T with an esata port. I am buying a new pc and want to know what I ask for so I can use esata. Is the power source in the pc or something I buy apart from it? I will need specifics so it will function.
Thank you

Old 05-08-10, 01:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not esta it is eSATA (extenal SATA drive port). It is a faster option then traditional USB ports for connecting external hard drives. Google will give you lots of information.

Old 05-09-10, 10:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterr View Post
Hello
I have an external hard drive 2T with an esata port. I am buying a new pc and want to know what I ask for so I can use esata. Is the power source in the pc or something I buy apart from it? I will need specifics so it will function.
Thank you
If the drive enclosure didn't come with a cord then you don't need one... it will draw the power it needs via the eSATA cable that plugs into the motherboard/back of your computer.

eSATA to shed the power plug | Crave - CNET

Old 05-09-10, 10:14 AM
P
eSATA power source

hello
Does anyone want to jump in and see my first post?
I did Google but I am asking spcecifically what I need beside the drive which I have and the new pc. I don't know what to ask for to be icluded with the new pc and then if I still need some "external power source".
Google sends you on vague discussions about the comparative speeds but does not, to my findings, address the question.
Thanx for the help.

Old 05-09-10, 10:20 AM
P
Originally Posted by dbishop0011 View Post
If the drive enclosure didn't come with a cord then you don't need one... it will draw the power it needs via the eSATA cable that plugs into the motherboard/back of your computer.

eSATA to shed the power plug | Crave - CNET
>> As soon as I send my second message your answer appeared so please disregard.
Thank you. Now as I understand it I just need an eSATA cord to connect to the ext drive and pc. The new pc will be equipped with an eSATA port and the encolsed drive which I have with the eSATA port will connect to each other and nothing else is needed.
The drive came with a cord but it is a usb one.
Appreciate the breakdown.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: