XP reload

Old 05-14-10, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
XP reload

I've got a Dell desktop with XP that has corrupted network issues. I don't have anything worth saving on the machine and want to just wipe out the operating system and reload it and the programs I have on disk.

I have the XP installation disk that came with the unit and when I run it and choose "install XP" I get a window that tells me my current XP system is newer than what is on the disk.

I'm a bit perplexed at all this, but I really don't care if I install an older version of XP anyway, so how do I convince this machine to just go ahead and wipe out the old and reload what is on the disc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-10, 12:32 PM
M
Must be done from the boot CD

That because the current version of your XP is probably at Service Pack 3, the CD will probably be Service Pack 1 or 2
you cannot upgrade to a lower version inside of Windows environment

you must boot to the CD ( if it's a legit version of XP it will be bootable ) and run the installer from there ( it wll run automatically but you will need your CD key handy ), it should be the same as what is in there now ( google jeallybean key finder and run the program to get the key )

from there you can repair or reinstall XP

Old 05-14-10, 03:07 PM
Thanks mikerios.... sounds like you know your stuff!! But I have no idea what "you must boot to the CD" means or how to do it... LOL! I CAN google "jellybean key finder" and do the rest of the stuff you said, but "boot to the CD" is not something I'm familiar with. Thanks in advance for any further explanation!

Old 05-14-10, 05:19 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Generally the computer will first check the CD-ROM drive for an operating system before loading from the hard drive. What you need to do is place the install disc in the CD-ROM drive and then shut down the computer. Restart it and it should display a screen asking if you want to load the OS from the disc or from the hard drive.

Old 05-15-10, 02:00 PM
M
the only change you might have to do is change the boot setting in the BIOS
as generally most computers are set to boot the hard drive first, and then failing that boot to the CD next.

by boot to the cd I mean the system will launch the operating system it find on the hard drive or the cd , depending on which order is specified

the BIOS stand for Basic Input Output System and is a small eprom chip on all motherboards where the computer hardware settings are stored in user programable ( via simple menu once you have entered the BIOS ) settings.

for Dell bios - and how you access them

How to access/enter Motherboard BIOS

Old 05-18-10, 06:32 PM
OK... you know what?? I actually understand all this and I think I can do it. LOL!!! This reminds me of an incident about thirty years ago when a kid I knew messed up the ignition on his car.... he said, "I know just enough about this to get myself into trouble."
Hmmmm..... now I know what he meant.... I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: