Existing Gmail account...switching from POP to IMAP?

Old 05-15-10, 06:29 PM
W
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Existing Gmail account...switching from POP to IMAP?

How is the best way to switch from POP to IMAP on an existing account?

I have an existing gmail account with 20,000 emails. Currently, I am downloading them to my desktop in Outlook via POP. I check my email on multiple devices, so I want to switch to IMAP.

THe problem is that when I set up a new IMAP account in Outlook, it is going to download every email again. I'd like to work around that.

Could I copy all of the emails out of my POP folders and transfer them to my IMAP folders before I enable IMAP at gmail? Or, could I delete all the emails at gmail first, then copy the POP folders over to the IMAP folders?

Old 05-16-10, 09:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
20,000 emails!!??? You've got to be kidding. I get on my wife for not cleaning up her 1800 emails, 679 which she hasn't even opened. No sympathy from me.
I check emails on three machines. One tower in my office, my phone and my laptop. I have the POP account leave the messages on the server when I check on my office and phone. When I get home I check it all again on my laptop and delete what I don't want, thereby deleting everything off the server. I shudder when I get 100 emails built up in the inbox. Time to purge.
Curiosity has me. Why do you have so many emails???

Old 05-16-10, 11:47 AM
W
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
20,000 emails!!??? You've got to be kidding. I get on my wife for not cleaning up her 1800 emails, 679 which she hasn't even opened. No sympathy from me.
I check emails on three machines. One tower in my office, my phone and my laptop. I have the POP account leave the messages on the server when I check on my office and phone. When I get home I check it all again on my laptop and delete what I don't want, thereby deleting everything off the server. I shudder when I get 100 emails built up in the inbox. Time to purge.
Curiosity has me. Why do you have so many emails???
Hahah. Impressive, eh? About 16k are incoming, 4k are outgoing. If you think that is something, that is just my personal emails. I also have work emails that number 70k in total. And that is just since we switched to Outlook in 07. My outlook folder is 12.7 Gbs.

But I digress, why do I have so many personal emails? Well, for one, I get a bunch (according to my calc., averaging about 16 per day). Second, I never delete any. I don't delete any because there are times when I need to look back through my emails to remember something that was written or something I said.

The reason I don't delete them off the server is because I want the ability to use the webmail feature in the event I am away from my devices that I use to access my email.

Since I am accessing my email on three different devices, I want each device to show what I have already read and what I haven't, which is why I want to switch to IMAP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: