Media Receiver

Old 05-20-10, 11:38 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Media Receiver

I'm in the market for a media server for my entertainment system. I would like it to be network-ready so I can connect it to my main PC (for accessing songs, etc.), and it needs to have component video outputs and preferably a coaxial and/or composite audio outputs. I would also like the user interface to be user-friendly/logical. Anyone have any opinions on the Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player? And I should mention that my PC is running XP. Thanks

Old 05-20-10, 04:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I love that little black box

on the WD Live Tv
the thing is awesome

I have one
and I use it as is
no computer
just straight to the TV
I have a 2 TB Seagate external HD connected to it
and from there I stream my movies and what not
I have only had it for 3 months
so I am still setting it up.

I run the video / audio via HDMI direct to my LCD TV
my aging receiver has no HDMI inputs/ outputs, it all analog save for the optical audio inputs.
I also have a PC hooked up to the same TV
and my originally intent was it to function as a HTPC, but with my WD Live TV box, I no longer use it for that, but rather for gaming, photo editing, video editing and so on. It run Windows 7. All my other computers ( Laptop, and 2 more smaller computers ) run XP.

What I like about the way I have it set up now is that the small remote turns on the USB ports on the WD Live TV box and this in turn spins up the Seagate External drive. I have also had it connected to the network to stream or move photos, mp3 and movies from other computers, over to the Seagate, with ease.

The other aspect is the number of file formats it supports, without any needed codec packs installed. You can even turn it into a ftp server among other things with a custom software that is free out there on the net. My only wish is that WD had support Netflix , that would have make it my total web / streaming solution.

It also has composite video out and audio out plus optical audio out, though i am using only the HDMI port to handle both my audio and video. The audio and composite cables are small male plug ins to the WD Live Tv ports in the back of the unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: