wireless router dead

Old 06-01-10, 11:41 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wireless router dead

neither my computer or laptop can find my home network. it was working fine before i left for work but when i came home it was not working. viewing available networks they are all unsecured networks and none are mine which is secured. the main computer is connected to the router via a cat 5 cable and it has internet access, if i hook my laptop up via the cable it too has internet but neither can find the router wirelessly. even if i put the laptop in the same room with the router it does not find the network and the laptop as a stronger antenna then the desktop.WOW cable wants 75 more a month to hook up another computer via a cable modem. the router is a linksys. im not calling tech support its like $40, a phone call and they do not speak english or do so very poorly.

Old 06-02-10, 12:47 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You certainly don't need another cable modem and adding an Ethernet jack and cabling is well within your DIY skills. It is possible that the wireless portion of the router has become disabled or even died. Routers are not that expensive so the first thing I would suggest is that you use the wired computer to "go in to" the router settings and make sure the wireless is enabled.

Old 06-02-10, 04:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Unless I miss my guess, your main computer is hardwired to the modem, not the router. The router is wired to the computer and becomes a wireless source for the laptops. Unplug the router for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. It should begin its normal flashing until it settles on a signal to send out. Otherwise, like Furd says, you may have to go back in to the main computer and ensure the router is visible to the other computers.

Old 06-20-10, 08:04 PM
F
i had a friend give me her old router but it didn't work either. either the easy link adiviser couldn't find the internet couldn't find the router or needed a password or after i held the reset button for 30 seconds couldn't find the router or its not supported. i used the cd she sent. i have no idea which router is installed right now. everything works wired but not wireless. i would have to drill a hole in the floor and run cable from one end to the other for a wired network.i might just hire someone to do that if these routers are going to keep quiting. my uncle suggessted pinging but i do not know the router number or the computer numbers

Old 06-21-10, 04:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We had a similar problem with a linksys recently. We did call customer support and we didn't have to pay for it.

Anyway, you can be hardwired into a wireless router, not just a modem. So if you are getting internet connection with your hard wired computer, the router should be working (if it wasn't you wouldn't be online). Go to the router page 192.168.1.1 You will have to input your router name and password. Try to see if there are any firmware updates for the router. This should resolve your issues.

Old 06-21-10, 07:01 PM
F
i pinged the router via the laptop at least 5 times i know i should do at least 50 but anyway each time i get destination host unreachable repeat 4 times then it says packets sent 4 received 0 lost 4 100% the laptop is not connected to any internet at that time.

Old 06-21-10, 08:57 PM
M
When you go to the router, go to it hardwired and then go to the router "home page" 192.168.1.1

Old 06-22-10, 12:05 AM
F
i don't know the password or username. the laptop can communicate with the router via a cat 5 cable but get destination host unreachable when trying to ping it wirelessly packets sent 145 received 0 lost 145 100%.

Old 06-22-10, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Unless the username/password was changed by you or your friend, the defaults are probably still in use.

It may be as simple as "username" and "password". Look up the manual for it on the manufacturers site..it will explain.

Old 06-24-10, 07:58 PM
M
connect the laptop to the router with a patch cable

open a dos window box (hit the start button--- run--- type in --cmd.exe )

at the dos prompt type in

ipconfig /all

this will sow you the routers IP address ( under default gateway / dns server / DCHP server) and your current IP address below

usually they are 192.168.1.1 address for the router
but it can also be quire few other address
begiining with 10.x.x.x and so on

a 169.x.x.x address means you have no ip address and thus no internet connection

once you have the default gateway of the router
then logon to the router

Default user names:

* Linksys BEFW11S4, WRT54G: admin
* Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Ethernet routers: Administrator
* Linksys Comcast routers: comcast
* All other Linksys routers: [none]

Default passwords:

* Linksys BEFW11S4: [none]
* Linksys Comcast routers: 1234
* All other Linksys routers: admin

Search this Thread