Computer won't turn on?

Old 06-02-10, 04:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer won't turn on?

My friends all think I am good at fixing computers, but really I just reformat them and give them back. I've probably done it a couple dozen times until this time...This is a dell dimension 2400. When I hooked up a known working monitor (the one I am using right now) It kept saying no signal found. I tryed starting the dell and nothing happened on the monitor. The computer itself... there was just a short subtle hum for a few seconds, then two beeps, and nothing. The lights on the front did stay on, and were green.

Back to the monitor...with it plugged into my personal computer... with the computer not even hooked up to power... the "no signal found" wouldn't even display. But again, even with my friends computer on, a no signal found message appears. Immediatly I am thinking this person is going to have to buy an exernal video card because the one on the mother board is shot. But then I remeber the computer dosn't even go through a typical start up period. Is this characteristic of some other problem that I am not thinking of/ don't know about? Thank you for any help

Old 06-02-10, 04:49 PM
The two beeps is a diagnostic message from POST.
Not sure what two beeps mean but it's something basic like boot drive, memory etc, not found. could be failure... lack of power... loose connection. look up what two beeps indicate.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

Last edited by mickblock; 06-02-10 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add link
Old 06-05-10, 03:56 PM
F
1. Turn off power to the PC.
2. Pop open the PC's case.
3. Locate the memory modules (should be two slots).
4. If only one memory module, it's probably no good -- replace.
5. If two memory modules, one or both are probably no good
-- remove one and see if the PC boots up okay, else reinstall the memory module you just removed
-- remove the other and see if the PC boots up okay
6. If still no good, remove the two memory modules and install a known good memory module (DDR SDRAM)
7. If still no good, try removing and reinserting the power supply connectors to the motherboard.

Old 06-07-10, 10:01 AM
S
Ok...I went through everything. Tried some known working ram, disconnected and reconnected the motherboard, disconnected all the ide devices, power cycled the computer, Checked that the fan is working fine....I did everything except disconnect the cpu and reconnect it. Don't wanna get into that. Nothing helped. It still beeps twice (which may or may not be a bad thing) but always displays "no signal" on the monitor. Since the video card is inboard, I assume either

A it needs to be replaced with an outboard video card or
B the whole mother board could possibly be shot.

I don't have any outboard video cards to try to trouble shoot this with. What are the chances that a video card would fixthis whole problem? What are the chances that we need a whole new motherboard? Thanks you guys have been great so far.

Old 06-07-10, 12:58 PM
F
Hello strider380,

Some notes (or gotchas... ask me how I know) and other things to try:

-- The motherboard takes 128 kB, 256 kB and 512 kB DDR SDRAM only

-- If using only one memory module, it must be installed in Slot 0 (if Slot 0 + Slot 1), or Slot 1 (if Slot 1 + Slot 2)

-- Some mobos will generate POST errror beeps if the fan for the CPU heatsink is not connected

-- Go ahead and reseat the CPU on the motherboard... take your time, avoid touching PCB (printed circuit board) surfaces and handle by edges ONLY

-- Don't waste your money on a video card adapter at this point in time... if you cannot go past the POST beeps, you will not display anything throught the onboard or any adapter video cards

-- Try a different power supply, but be careful: a power supply with no load(s), i.e., power connectors not connected to anything, will smoke/blowup/spark/etc.

-- Remove all adapter cards in the expansion slots (modem, sound card, NIC (network interface card), TV tuner card, etc.) and try again

-- Remove all memory modules, turn on the PC: you should hear continues beeps (mobo is GOOD), turn off PC, install one memory module in one slot, turn on PC... if no good, turn off PC, remove memory module and install in the other slot, turn on PC... if no good, memory module is BAD

-- With the heatsink off the CPU, turn on the PC and touch the top of the CPU... if it gets warm, CPU is probably GOOD, turn off PC

Originally Posted by strider380 View Post
Ok...I went through everything. Tried some known working ram, disconnected and reconnected the motherboard, disconnected all the ide devices, power cycled the computer, Checked that the fan is working fine....I did everything except disconnect the cpu and reconnect it. Don't wanna get into that. Nothing helped. It still beeps twice (which may or may not be a bad thing) but always displays "no signal" on the monitor. Since the video card is inboard, I assume either

A it needs to be replaced with an outboard video card or
B the whole mother board could possibly be shot.

I don't have any outboard video cards to try to trouble shoot this with. What are the chances that a video card would fixthis whole problem? What are the chances that we need a whole new motherboard? Thanks you guys have been great so far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: